600HP 5.7 Hemi 75 Duster project

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
Fisrt of all Hi everyone. I am using this thread to follow my build. FABO is a great site full of helpful information. I am loving the knowledge that is avaliable here. I am a NOOB when it comes to A body's but have learned alot in a few short days.

Ok I want to give you guys a little background on myself, and how the project came to be. I started messing with the modern Hemi back in 05. when I picked up a used 04 ram 4 door (the silver truck pictured below) I have been modifying the hemi and the ram's ever since. Well in Jan of 06 it was discovered that the 6.1 cam will fit in the 5.7 block. I said how hard can it be, and jumped in with both feet. Now I know that motor inside and out. I was able to mod the truck enough to end up with the fastest stock bottom end hemi 4 door ram in the country (a whopping 12.73 @ 105MPH) I held that title untill 2 May 2010. Anyway, the truck was rear ended on 1 May 2010, and was deemed a total loss (everyone was fine, and everyone walked away from the accident) and seeing a motor/truck that I had more time and money invested in it that it was worth. I decided to buy it back and build up a mopar. I didnt even know what I wanted to put it in but figured I would find something eventually. And I did when I found the 75 Duster. (purchased on 5 June 2010) I then proceeded to start researching and buying parts. I currently have. new shocks, all new front end bushings, one seat W/ 5pt harness, 200+ ft of tubing to build a roll cage, and a complete truck for the motor, PCM, A/C, fuel system, ect. I have all new brakes, and I'm sure several other things that I am forgetting.

Now about the plans for the car. I will be fabing my own subframe connectors, roll cage (10pt) motor mounts, trans mount, 4 link (maybe), headers(eventually), and modifying anything else as needed. I will also be rebuilding the trans myself. I am trying to build this car as cheel as possable. I am keeping a running total. (to include the price of the car) so that i can see what it costs to build a fully functional 5.7 hemi powered race car/ occasional street car. The car will be getting the motor out of the truck above, it currently has Inertia Motorsports ported and polished heads, Spartan cam, Diablo tuning and a home built nitrous setup. (spraying a 150 shot) there was much more to it than that in the truck but the other stuff will not change over. now for the pics you guys are wanting ill be posting them with discriptions but please understand im not all that good at getting the discriptions to line up correctly.

bringing the car home.jpg

duster coming home.jpg

my wife sitting in seat being a dork.jpg

new truck and old..jpg

seat and harness.jpg

slick side view.jpg

the parts truck.jpg

ok guys the pics are as follows.
the first 2 are the day I got the car.
then its my wife being a dork.
a pic of the new truck pulling the old truck
a close up of the seat
playing arround with the slicks from my silver ram
and finally a close up of the parts truck

Plan on a bunch more pics after this weekend when i get started on the subframe connectors/ cage. then the good pics will start. :)

Were those charger wheels on that '75? Did you have to modify anything to put those on?
are you refering to the slicks, or the wheels that are on it on the trailer? The slicks are an offroad package ram wheel. Its just sitting in front of the axle. Its a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. but the 06+ charger wheels will bolt right on they are a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern as well. I actually have 4 wheels off of a magnum that will be going on untill I can get a better looking wheel. Because the wheels that came with the car are just good enough to get it on the trailer. (they hold air for about 10 minutes lol)

03ramit1, you have a great project there. keep the pics coming and build info. I'd like to know how you modify the stock harness to fit or are you going with after market EFI?

03ramit1, you have a great project there. keep the pics coming and build info. I'd like to know how you modify the stock harness to fit or are you going with after market EFI?
for now it will be the stock harness. ill be picking up some electrical tools. so that i can remove the pins from the plugs and reinstall the connectors. (for wires that need to be shortened) the ones that need to be longer (if any) will be completly replaced. I repair medical equipment for a living and am always rewireing things, and repairing stuff so, to be honest im not worried too much about the harness. ill just go through it one wire at a time and get it correct. the ultimate plan down the road (a few years) will be to add a carb and an MSD "hemi6" box to control the spark. then i will have full control of the tuning. (and have the old school look)

on a side note I am at $4000.00 for a running total on the project. and to have it street leagal again i need build an exhaust system, buy a rear axle that will handle the hemi (the 7.25 will not cut it lol) and get everything installed. so i would say im not doing too bad in the expense department. I figure i need to drop in another 2500.00-3000.00 to get it track ready. then im hopeing to see low 10's

are you refering to the slicks, or the wheels that are on it on the trailer? The slicks are an offroad package ram wheel. Its just sitting in front of the axle. Its a 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern. but the 06+ charger wheels will bolt right on they are a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern as well. I actually have 4 wheels off of a magnum that will be going on untill I can get a better looking wheel. Because the wheels that came with the car are just good enough to get it on the trailer. (they hold air for about 10 minutes lol)
Yeah the slicks, I have seen some chrysler 300 rims but no charger or ram wheels. I like it.

actually im not going to use the ram wheels. i had them just sitting in the gerage from when i was racing the silver truck. i was planning on swapping the tires over to a charger wheel. the ram BP is way too wrong for the car. i would hate to build a 5 on 5 1/5 then try and find good looking car wheels for it.

actually im not going to use the ram wheels. i had them just sitting in the gerage from when i was racing the silver truck. i was planning on swapping the tires over to a charger wheel. the ram BP is way too wrong for the car. i would hate to build a 5 on 5 1/5 then try and find good looking car wheels for it.

I'm thinking of either going torque thrust with the polished lip and the rest matched to the gunmetal silver I am painting it or a set of pro stars

Nice start to your build. I'll be watching closely as your concept is very similar to what I am gathering parts for now.

Good luck and keep those pics coming:happy1:

I will be fabing my own subframe connectors, roll cage (10pt) motor mounts, trans mount, 4 link (maybe), headers(eventually), and modifying anything else as needed. I will also be rebuilding the trans myself. I am trying to build this car as cheel as possable.

What drive train does the duster have now?

Have you thought out how you will make your engine/trans mounts?

Are you gonna use the 545fre or a 727/904? Stall?

Inquiring minds want to know! lol

I'll be using a 727. Behind the hemi. The 545 is a week trans. Orrigionaly the car had a /6 unknown trans and a 7.25 rear. Now it has a 318 904 and the 7.25. When done it will have the 5.7 a 727 and dana60

as far as the trans goed I'm looking at a revers pattern manual valve body. And a 3000 stall converter. I'll be talking with the converter buillder about building the 727 converter with a hemi flywheel bolt pattern. We will see how that goes

Hey Chris, I bet the 545 would hold up well in a 3000 lb ruster where it doesn't in a 5000 lb truck. But you'd need a controller so your probably best with the 727. Thats what Les is doing also. I've going 833 for the short term and setting up a viper T56 for the long run. But at this point I just want to get something rolling.

yeah stu I was thinking the same on the trans, but I don't want to deal with 2nd prime. And besides fred (chefred112) needs a trans for his truck, so he is getting it.

on that note do you think that an edge converter for the 727 w/ the hemi flywheel bolt pattern will work? I think it should it would make the swap 100 times easyer....

Do explain the "week 545rfe trans" statement. I'm curious as to why it is considered week.

Sorry, mispelled week, I meant weak...total brain fart.

the 545 is a 4 speed trans. The added 5th gear is in the computer. It uses the 2nd and 4th gear clutches to create a passing gear. It's known as second prime. This gear is weak because your using the small 4th gear clutches in a high tq envoment. (ie cruzing down the free way and hammering the throttle to get around someone going slow) your applying a high load on the weakest clutches. And they are known to fail behind stock hemi's if abused enough. But we are compairing apples and oranges when your talking a 5000 pound truck vs a 2800 pound car w/ the same trans. The loads on it in a car are much less. I hope this answers your question. You can read a bunch about it on dodgetalk.com in the 3rd gem ram section

Love the project! You wouldn't possibly be twords the west coast and parting the truck out would you? :D I have an 04 i'm rehabilitating...sorry the vulture in me just wouldn't let me stay quiet lol.

what are you doing for wiring and computer if you go 727?

the truck computer will still rin the motor without the trans hooked up. It will have a check engine light on for trans error codes, but it will run just fine. And seeing how I won't havea light to look at it will not be a problem. It will still pass emissions just fine.

Love the project! You wouldn't possibly be twords the west coast and parting the truck out would you? :D I have an 04 i'm rehabilitating...sorry the vulture in me just wouldn't let me stay quiet lol.

sending pm

the 545 is a 4 speed trans. The added 5th gear is in the computer. It uses the 2nd and 4th gear clutches to create a passing gear. It's known as second prime. This gear is weak because your using the small 4th gear clutches in a high tq envoment. (ie cruzing down the free way and hammering the throttle to get around someone going slow) your applying a high load on the weakest clutches. And they are known to fail behind stock hemi's if abused enough. But we are compairing apples and oranges when your talking a 5000 pound truck vs a 2800 pound car w/ the same trans. The loads on it in a car are much less. I hope this answers your question. You can read a bunch about it on dodgetalk.com in the 3rd gem ram section

Check these guy's out...
http://www.transmissionsone.com/45rfe_performance_parts_from_pat.htm

-
Back