62 lancer with bias tires

-

alfonso

Reaction score
i have Coker 6.5x13 tires that are dry rotted and would like to replace with radials what size fits stock rims?
also what shocks recommended thanks

I ran into this when putting new tires on my Valiant. Not many 13" car tires are available any more. A 650x13 would be closest to a 175/80R13 but they are hard to find. About the only thing made in that size are trailer tires. The next step up in size would have been the 700X13 and that would equate to a 185/80R13. Again, mostly only made in trailer tires, but I did find some car tires at the Farmers Co-op (don't remember the brand) in this size. Then there are still a few companies that make the 185/70R13 which is a bit wider than the 650X13 but about an inch smaller diameter. I'd suggest checking with your local tire supplier to see what is available in 13" tires. As far a shocks go, you could go with really nice KYb or Bilsteins but I just went down to the local NAPA and got the gas charged replacements for a decent price.

We ran 185/80R13s for most of a decade on my/father's '62 Lancer with stock 13" rims. That size worked fine in every respect. At the time, we got them from Discount Tire Co. ("America's Tire Co" in some states), under their house "Arizonian Silver Edition" brand. As others have said, there's not much selection in this size range, but almost anything you buy (except Chinese garbage) is going to be better than what you've got now or what you could buy when the car was newer.

As for shocks: I really like the Edelbrock IAS units; they are better and longer lasting but more expensive than the KYBs, which are better and longer lasting but more expensive than the generic Monroe/Gabriel units from the parts store.

What's your plan with this car? Drive it in stock (or nearly stock) configuration? Upgrade it? If you're due for tires, now's the time to consider your options for upgrading to 14" wheels…only disadvantage then is you can't run stock wheel covers.

thanks for ans
i am so happy to drive it that i really have not considered mags or fat tires so maybe ,i will google valiants images and see what people have done
i hate keystones and mag 500.
i like country blue lane driving and losing eyesight in one eye
so gave up going too fast, i would like a nice comfy ride looking at farm market and swap meets.so maybe some continentals and 30 spoke wires

Remember, this car has the small (4") wheel bolt circle, not the large (4½") circle used on B- and C-body cars and most '73-up A-bodies. So the wheels you have may not be suitable for your car. I have Cragar SS mags on my '62, which you can see here. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use Mopar rallye wheels.

i had coker crapper tires on my cuda,bias,,,as usuall they delaminated,, no more coker crap,,,, do a google search on your size, i found a company called fedral,,,they had the size i run in radial,,,also look at a chart some of those smaller sizes are under rated in weight capacity, like stated probably trailer tires,,,i got lucky a local tire shop had the fedrals in stock,,,

I just got tires for my 62 Lancer. I went with 14" wheels instead of the 13s. The availability of 13" tires isn't great, 14s aren't that common any more either. You could order them online and have them mounted by a local shop. I have 185s on the front. If your not going for pure resto, go with any good set of radial tires.

went to firestone for mine 1757013 bought five for 350 total
what a difference in ride and comfort

-
Back