62 Valiant Strut Removal

-

gsoco

gsoco
Reaction score
I am trying to replace the strut bushings and am trying to remove the struts without tearing down the K-member...any ideas?
upload_2019-7-29_13-33-39.png

Last edited:
are the rods turning as you try to loosen the nuts? or some other problem? once you get the roll pin out of the front, hit them both with an impact to get the nuts started. do not use vice grips to hold them! then you need to be able to move the lower control arm back. to do that, pull the clip in the back of the T-bar, loosen the nut on the front of the control arm pivot, loosen the t-bar adjuster and stick a prybar between the arm and the k-member to push it back. that should get you enough room to pull the strut rod. i'd also get the shocks off the lower arm, at least

FWIW, the '62 FSM says you first have to remove the lower control arm, shaft and strut as an assembly, and then remove the nut holding the strut to the lower control arm.

are the rods turning as you try to loosen the nuts? or some other problem? No - got them off, but the strut itself is still rigid - not loose at all...once you get the roll pin out of the front, hit them both with an impact to get the nuts started. do not use vice grips to hold them! then you need to be able to move the lower control arm back. to do that, pull the clip in the back of the T-bar, loosen the nut on the front of the control arm pivot, loosen the t-bar adjuster and stick a prybar between the arm and the k-member to push it back. that should get you enough room to pull the strut rod. i'd also get the shocks off the lower arm, at least
OK got it. Thanks. I have a shop manual - but I cannot find any detail on this....

FWIW, the '62 FSM says you first have to remove the lower control arm, shaft and strut as an assembly, and then remove the nut holding the strut to the lower control arm.
OK got it. Thanks. I have a shop manual - but I cannot find any detail on this....

ya, i love instructions that assume you've already done something before

It's in the combined Plymouth/Valiant FSM for 1962. (I didn't refer to the '60-'61 Valiant FSM because I think they changed the K-member and front suspension a bit in '62.) It's in chapter 2, "front suspension" at page 2-8 (chapter 2, page 8), paragraph 6; and at page 2-10, paragraph 7.

Ok. Thanks for the citation...I will study it. Still struggling with identifying part names - not very familiar with front ends. Saw the bushing was shot and thought it would be an easy fix while I

-
Back