63-66 Windshield Lock Strip?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
The correct original lockstrip with the ribbed texture and concave surface has been unavailable for years. The one you linked is what's generally available (because also used on '70s-'80s GMC and Chevrolet pickups). It doesn't have to be bought from Classic Industries; any windshield shop can still order it through regular channels.

DMT doesn't make that, any more than Classic Industries makes it. They buy it off the shelf from the auto glass supply chain and offer it for sale. Same part no matter where you buy it, and prices vary.

Thanks Guys, I knew No one "Made" the correct OE Stuff for this car - I was just trying to verify the best correct stuff to get.

Some of the Strips I was researching had the "lock BEad" under the strip and I thought that would not be correct for this application as when in Removed the 50+ year old original stuff it was flat on the underside which was new to me for the lockstrip material.
I could not tell from the photo if the Classic Ind. Strip had this "BEad under it but it is for sure that the DMT piece is what I will want as a suitable but not 100% O.E. Replacement!

Thanks again Uncle Dan and Others!

Gregh

I get all my stuff from Deutchmann Automotive! He has the same stuff as most other people, but is always cheaper by at least $5-$10, and he has a couple of early A bodies of his own!

I get all my stuff from Deutchmann Automotive! He has the same stuff as most other people, but is always cheaper by at least $5-$10, and he has a couple of early A bodies of his own!

Great.. any info or links phone #'s for these folks?

Greg

I checked out Thier website. Kinda sparse. What all do they have for early a bodies Geoff?

Jeff and his wife run the entire business, and there's no wonder why their website is sparse, they have always been old school point of sale folks, but he does have a nice setup at every show, and has the complete line of products similar to that of every big vendor! Weatherstrips, soft trim, and such are his specialty! It's best to call him and build your order that way!

The strip I got with my new windshield turned from silver to dirty gold in one summer here in Arizona.Anybody else have that problem ?

Where did you get your material from?

I am sure there are varying grades of quality on the mylar /chrome coating.. the oe material on my 78 van is starting to do what you describe.

Greg

Where did you get your material from?

I am sure there are varying grades of quality on the mylar /chrome coating.. the oe material on my 78 van is starting to do what you describe.

Greg

Came from the glass company who installed my windshield. They probably used the cheapest they could find. When I get closer to done with the car I may look around for a better quality one.

The correct original lockstrip with the ribbed texture and concave surface has been unavailable for years. The one you linked is what's generally available (because also used on '70s-'80s GMC and Chevrolet pickups). It doesn't have to be bought from Classic Industries; any windshield shop can still order it through regular channels.
Dan,

Was that a window pun? "regular channels" - window channels? LOL!

Mines getting a little discolored after 10 years...mine was the cheap stuff on eBay. It's cheap enough and easy to install, figured when it got more faded then I'd just replace it. My dad used the Chev truck stuff on his 66 Barracuda back in the late 80's and it still looks like new today...probably better stuff back then too!

If you looking for quality Steel Rubber products should be a good choice. I've been to their shop and was very impressed (mind you that was 20 years ago and things change). Besides from the pictures it looks like thier design would hold the seal in place better IMO

-
Back