63 Dart 7 1/4" rear axle seals

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
Cleaning up my rear differential and changing the fluid and have a question. I am thinking on changing the axle seals. I can't tell for sure if they have leaked or not but as I have it mostly apart already thought it might be cheap insurance. Already have the new pinion seal on the way and picking up diff cover gasket and oil tomorrow.

Question I have is this:. Is it possible to replace the axle seals without removing the bearings of the axle shafts? Is there a seal inside of the bearings or are they outside of the bearings? I have found the bearings and retainer rings online but if the originals are good and I don't have to remove them from the shafts to get to the seals I'd rather not. Obviously if I need to I'll replace them, just trying to figure out what I'm getting into before pulling the rest apart.

there are two seals at the end of the housing and axles must be pulled out to replace them, ive had over 10 7.25 never leaked from the seals, beat the **** out of the too. i would just leave em.

Cleaning up my rear differential and changing the fluid and have a question. I am thinking on changing the axle seals. I can't tell for sure if they have leaked or not but as I have it mostly apart already thought it might be cheap insurance. Already have the new pinion seal on the way and picking up diff cover gasket and oil tomorrow.

Question I have is this:. Is it possible to replace the axle seals without removing the bearings of the axle shafts? Is there a seal inside of the bearings or are they outside of the bearings? I have found the bearings and retainer rings online but if the originals are good and I don't have to remove them from the shafts to get to the seals I'd rather not. Obviously if I need to I'll replace them, just trying to figure out what I'm getting into before pulling the rest apart.

The seals are "inboard" as compared to the bearing and can be left inplace

-
Back