63 dart , mc replace

-

JimD

Reaction score
I want to put a dual master cylinder on my dart, what will fit, what parts do I need, anything I should know about. Thanks in advance, Jim.

I just changed mine over while I had the engine out. Not a horribly difficult job. This article should give you the info you need...

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/dualmaster.htm

I also replaced all the emergancy brake cables, rubber hoses, rear wheel clyinders and rerouted the brake line that ran to the front right wheel to get it out of the way of the oil filter.

It all seems to be working just fine and I feel safer now with the dual MC setup and emergancy brake.

I thought it was going to be P.I.A. in which I would have buy new lines and rebend them, then add a proportioning valve so I had my buddy/mechanic do it on my '66 Cuda with manual barakes/front discs. All it took on my '66 was a new dual m/c from AutoZone for a '73 Barracuda and two new lines to the proportioning valve which was located right under the washer bottle! By the way, were practically neighbors.... I live about 10 minutes from you in Harrison Twp.

I just did mine about a month ago. Got a Raybestos master cylinder for 67 Plymouth at Rock Auto part # MC36221. Didn't need a proportioning valve since I have drums all around.
I did replace all my lines since mine were pretty crappy. Just check out the link that jameybro posted and pretty much follow it. Nothing to it. dennis

I too just finished my conversion also. Was going with a Napa MC for 67 Dodge I believe and ended up have to replace lines I was unable to disconnect, stripped the fittings. Ended cutting them up and pulling them out but ran the new steel line back to the rear axle after pulling the old rusted one and used it as a template to make my bends. Lot easier than I thought could not get the rubber one out but will keep soaking it till I an get it disconnected and will replace it.
Smartest thing I did was order the rubber lines and flare fittings and cut my own steel line. Made sure I had all I needed before I began after learning the hard way. Replaced rear wheel cylinders since one blew.
Stops great now and of course wondering if I should replace the 13" wheels and go to disc brakes in the front!
Wow!
John

-
Back