63 dart v8 swap questions

-

1963dartgt

Reaction score
So im considering swaping in a v8 to replace the tired slant six in my old dart. I want to stay carbed for the classic look and i know the 63 is a little different then every other a body. my questions are where exactly do i need to modify the firewall for distributor clearence,do i really need a v8 centerlink, what exhaust manifold or headers can i use,can i keep power steering,and finally what trans would bolt up to my existing cross member.Sorry about all the questions i would just like to clear some things up before i dive into this.

So im considering swaping in a v8 to replace the tired slant six in my old dart. I want to stay carbed for the classic look and i know the 63 is a little different then every other a body. my questions are where exactly do i need to modify the firewall for distributor clearence,do i really need a v8 centerlink, what exhaust manifold or headers can i use,can i keep power steering,and finally what trans would bolt up to my existing cross member.Sorry about all the questions i would just like to clear some things up before i dive into this.
I did this to my 63 Valiant and it was pretty easy, it took me about 1 year to complete. It took a long of time tracking down parts and building the engine. My only complaint was smashing in the firewall for the distributor, because its almost in the same spot as the wiper motor which i broke and was fortunate to find a replacement, cutting and welding would be a better solution if thats feasibile. I waited until i had it mounted and then hammered accordingly. I think you actually need the v8 centerlink but there seems to be about 3/4 of an inch clearance between the pan which i would think might work with the /6 but i didnt want to chance that so i found a centerlink. I used a pair of 360 magnum manifolds with manual steering and was able to move column over just enough, im prett sure there isnt enough room with power steering. You can also use early 273 manifold. Im working on a 64 with power steering and would really like some headers but theyre limited to dougs and tti unless you get those spitfire's that are out there, and for the transmission youll need a v8 pushbutton 904 unless your wanted 4 speed and it will all mount up in the stock location.

Jake

Last edited:
I agree with Jake. Because 63's never came with a v8 there is no indentation in the firewall for a small block distributor. You will have to cut and modify.

Yeah i was trying to see where i had to cut the firewall for clearence i was gonna gather the parts and throw it in on my vacation with a couple of buddies.Cutting and welding isnt an issue my brothers pretty handy with a welder. I was also just thinking about putting a 3 speed auto no need for overdrive as the car doesnt see the freeway just a 12 mile round trip to work everyday. Thanks for the input guys.

My 63 came accross the pond with the 318 fitted and no firewall mods, this put the oil pan on the steering center link and caused the drivers side manifold, I believe a 64 273 item , to foul the steering (power) in short the thing was undriveable.
I cut out the firewall where the wiper motor bulge was the fabricated a new bracket for the wiper motor and remade the firewall in flat steel sheet. This allowed me to move the engine up and back so I had no clearance issues. Engine mountings were modified to match the items available from Schumacher and new Standard insulators used.
Trans is a 904 shifted via a B&M z gate shifter mounted on the trans tunnel.
All the work was straightforward and completed across a single weekend
The thing now drives excellent

Regards
Rob in the UK

-
Back