'63 manual trans engine swap with '74 automatic

-

MarcD

Reaction score
A bit complex, but here goes:

I have a nice '63 Dart GT with an A833 (Jan 1972 production date on data pad) installed in the dim past by a previous owner....no details available. I believe the car has the original somewhat tired 225 /6.

I have an opportunity to buy a '66 Valiant with a nicely rebuilt 1974 225 (parts and machine shop receipts in hand) and 904 automatic. The '66 is rough but cheap with a trove of other parts that make it worthwhile, and the engine runs great.

I would like to swap engines, but I understand that the crankshaft hubs are different on a '63 and '74. Can I just obtain a later model flywheel to use with the '74 engine and the A833 in the '63 GT, and an early model flex plate to use with the '63 engine and the 904 in the '66 ?

The goal is to have the '63 as a keeper with the stronger engine, and be able to sell the '66 as a running project.

The other wild card here is whether the '74 engine has a crankshaft machined for a manual trans input shaft...any way to tell without removing the trans to see?

Thanks for any and all input!

Thank you for a quick answer and a very helpful link!

It appears the main thing I need to confirm now is what year 904 automatic is in the '66, as it appears that the torque converter hub needs to conform to the crankshaft hub recess.

Hopefully, the original '66 trans was kept in place and a spacer used to center the converter hub, so then I can just remove the spacer and bolt the automatic to the '63 engine. If I understand this correctly, a later large-hub style 904 cannot be made to work with an earlier engine, as the earlier hub recess is smaller.

Time to crawl back under and look at some numbers in the trans!

Again, many thanks to this forum!!

-
Back