63 Valiant seat belt mountings

-

Darthomas

Ashamed to be seen in foreign cars
Reaction score
I looked for existing threads first but couldn't find this info.
I'm doing some general repairs on my friend's very rusty Valiant.
Next is seat belts.
He had a shop install some years ago, but they just drilled a hole through the floor, put in a big washer, and that's all.
Now, on the driver's side, by the door, the floor is rotted away and the belt is more or less only attached to carpet.
I don't know if Mopar originally had mounting points installed in all 63 Valiants.
I know my parents' came with belts when new. I'd like to attach the belt to the side frame, but before tearing out trim and carpet, I'm hoping someone can tell me if that was the factory attachment point, and whether I'm likely to find a dimple there, a plugged hole or what.
I wouldn't expect the floor pan to be a safe mounting point for belts anyway, even when the metal was new.
If someone has a 63 with factory belts, I'd appreciate a picture of the mounting point relative to the door and floor on the driver's side.
Thanks

Seat belt anchorages were standard equipment on all '62 cars.

Sounds like the car has serious enough rust issues that structural integrity is an issue in general, not just for seat belts.

See this post for info on seatbelts worth having.

Thank you Dan.
Yes, you are right about structural soundness.
Not sure how much longer he's going to be able to keep it.
He doesn't drive it on the highway, just around town, and rides public transport mostly.
Brake lines and hoses were done a while back. But it needs floors.
He sure did get a lot of good years out of it.
My Dad, who bought the same exact model/ color/equipment as a new car,
1468540131734.jpg
found this one for him almost 20 years ago.
I seem to remember from my 65 Dart, that the outer belt mounts on the vertical portion, yes?

-
Back