64 64 Barracuda front tires and wheel sizes

-

highwaystar

Reaction score
I have 15x7 wheel on 235/60/15 rear tire. I am looking for tire size for the front. What is the widest and tallest I can use on a 14 x 5.5 rallye wheel without grabbing the fender? 60, 65, or 70 series??
I have stock drum spindles.
64-65 Barracuda application only..
Thank you.

I,ve got 215/65/15 on the front. Nearly same diameter as 14" wheels that came on Formula S cars. No trouble with rubbing.

Tim

I ran F70-14s on Rally's with no problems even with fenderwell headers. Switched over to 14x7 slots with either an E60 or F60-14 and only rubbed on the tubes. '65 Valiant w/ a 340.

I can't remember all the different sizes I've run on mine over the years, but most recently I had 14x6 Cragars with 225/60/14s all around, now have 15x7 Cragars with 225/60/15s. The 15's have more backspace and actually fit better in the back than the 14s. On the rear of my 65 Barracuda, there is half an inch or more variation in clearance from one side to the other. With passengers in the back, the 14's LR tire would rub slightly when going over a dip at speed. Never happens with the 15s.

Front was no problem with either size on my 65 Barracuda, but on my 63 Valiant with the same wheel/tire combo I did have to trim the lower front of the left wheel opening a slight amount when I converted to 15s as the LF tire would rub ever so slightly on a hard left turn. The cut is modest enough that it is not noticeable unless you know it's there.

Point, though, is that there are clearance variations between one side and the other, and one car and another despite both supposedly having exactly the same wheel openings.

-
Back