64-66 Barracuda rear glass installation questions

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
I found some threads about windshield installation, but not for the rear glass. I just bought the gaskets for my 66 Barracuda, and both seem to be of good quality. I'm not ready to install yet, but would like to have the information handy when the time comes. If you have a 64-66 barracuda, and have installed the rear glass yourself, please reply with detailed instructions. Does the gasket go on the glass, then on the car, or gasket on car first, then glass? Is the rope method good here? Sealer or no sealer? Here are a couple pics of the gasket over the pinch weld. Looks like a nice fit.

Attachments

• rear gasket1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 509
  • rear gasket2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 356
  • rear gasket3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 297
I did mine over 30 years ago, so looked at the 66 service manual. It says to apply sealer on the fence, that is the metal lip that the gasket goes on. I recently replaced my front glass and used a small diameter butyl tape caulk, pressed it fence, and installed the gasket. I made sure the gasket was well seated, down and out, to make the glass goes in easier. The instructions say to wet the lip of gasket where the window goes with mineral spirits. I just wet a rag and went all around. It serves to clean the groove, and make the gasket slippery. Then carefully place the window in place on the car, on top the gasket. A helper is needed for that unless you have long arms and are very strong. Then it says to use a wooden wedge. I found carpenters wood door alignment wedges worked for me. I also used an old credit car or even finger nails. Just carefully pull the gasket lip back towards the place where the lock strip goes. The weight of the glass helps, just get the lip by the edge of glass. Start on sides first, or the place that is the easiest. Do not contact or pry against the glass with tools. Do not try to force the glass down in the groove, until the lip has been pulled all the way around. Then press down on window, to insure it is completely set. Manual says to apply sealer, at glass to gasket, but I did not, and have not had a leak. Then install lock strip and trim. Mineral spirits helps again to lubricate gasket. The lock strip is inserted starting at a corner, spreading the groove lips and wiggling in the lock strip. I found placing the lock strip takes more energy than getting the window in the groove. Just take time, it goes easier with gained experience.

Just did mine about a month ago. Here is what we did.

1. We cleaned both channels on the gasket with a spirit based cleaner.
  2. Then we used a sealer that does not set hard to seat the rubber gasket onto the "fence", making sure the headliner was in place.
  3. Lowered the glass trailing edge first into the gasket using the weight of the glass to partially seat into the gasket.
  4. The next step was to push the glass from the front edge into the rubber, firmly seating the rear and side edges. Watch your fingers here!
  5. The leading edge was seated using a flat plastic blade from the inside to push part of the lip out and over the glass, then from the outside working from the edges into the centre.
  6. Then fitted the locking strip with a locking strip tool.
It is a two person job but it only took about 10 minutes.

I guess there are several different ways to do it but this worked for me, bearing in mind that any damage to the rear glass is catastrophic. A replacement isn't easy to get when there are probably less than 100 64-66 Barracudas in the whole country!

View Photos By: Seansmopar

I did a R & I on a 65 barracuda and was pretty simple...clean glass and gasket of oil use good glass cleaner don't use anything that leaves residue...I like to set gasket outside in sun for awhile let it warm a bit while your prepping glass..set glass on sturdy stand something soft with outside down...start gasket on a corner and work your way to other corner, stretch gasket if needed to get a nice crisp 90 degree...gasket should go on a little snug.. Try to get a hand from someone to help you if you never done this before...after gasket is on use clothing line rope around 1/4 inch thick or slightly smaller preferred to insert into gasket tight where the gasket goes onto the pinch weld...after ropes in tape rope off on inside of glass, flip glass over carefully with someone and use good masking tape or duct tape and tape gasket to glass all the way around.. Flip glass over again and use 3m wet type silicone spray to spray just enough to cover gasket where it will recess into body, spray by rope..but stay away from tape side use cloth to wipe it around gasket...with someone place glass on pinch weld making it symmetrical to top and bottom and side by side...then get comfortable on inside of car grab the rope and pull towards the center of the glass, you or your help may have to smack on glass with palm to help it recess along with some pressure..when installed remove tape from outside glass to gasket... I noticed the glass had a lot of room in gasket after installed, so with 3m silicone, spray gasket on outside real generous for lock strip if you have a glass can opener tool to install it will be easy.. If not you may want to use the plastic paddle shown in previous thread.. You can always tape off paint on outside but preference you do before you use silicone spray...also if you do not have corner clips you may have to cut lock strip at 45 degree angles..take your time at this back glasses can not be bought new and clean used ones ar expensive..good luck and any questions ill try to answer....Sean

-
Back