64 Barracuda 318 Issues Running

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
My dad has been having issues on his 64 Barracuda. It has a later model 318 in it with a brand new Holley carb on it. When we bought the car we were told it had a pretty big cam in it, but have no idea what size. We have put a new distributor, new points, new plugs, new wires and have put in new wires from the originals on the firewall through the engine.

We couldn't get the car to run/drive for more than 10 minutes at a time, w/o it dying on us. My dad drove it to a local Mopar repair shop and they adjusted the carb and timing and said it drove good, but also commented that the cam was probably too big. They said they drove it a few times and seemed to run OK. My Dad went back to pick it up and got about 10 minutes from the dealership and the car died on him right in a busy highway intersection. Thanks to a guy behind him, they were able to push it out of the intersection.

Neither of us are big engine guys, so we are struggling to figure out the issues and don't feel like spending another $500 at a shop to only have it do the same thing. Any thoughts or any more details that I can provide to help figure out this issue? Thanks in advance!:banghead:

Almost sounds like a coil breaking down. Automatic or manual? Gear ratio?

First I'd take it back to the shop and have them either refund you or fix it right as you paid them to fix it I take it.

Will it start right up after it dies? After it dies check for fuel in the carb. Was the car sitting for awhile cause there could be clogs in the fuel line or the carb or even the tank. Check the filters if you haven't already.

Check for grounds too, if you've got an errant ground it could be knocking out your ignition system.

Well looks like the points were bad, even though we had just replaced them a while back. They pulled them out and they were really worn down. They put new ones in and got the spark back. Then of course the starter went, so we had to replace that. We just drove it home today from the shop and it ran a ton better and made it all the way home. My Dad is going to drive it a few times a week around his house to make sure it is running good before the WI winter hits. The shop said if we run into more issues, they would tow it back again. They have been working with my Dad on the payments as well, plus paid for it to be towed back to the shop. Thanks for the suggestions.

-
Back