64 Barracuda Fresh Air intake

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Fellas,

I need to change out the gaskets in the fresh air intakes that come down from the cowl, guess, water is leaking in. Anyone ever do this? Any help would be great.

Rick

I am not sure with the cuda but my dart had apparenly been leaking for some time. I thought it was from the fresh air vents also but when I stripped the interior, I didnt find anything that would give a hint of it. I did however find from the guy I bought the car from that there is some problems with the mid top late 60's a-bodies windsheild wiper seals into the cowl. I found that the arms connect to the pivots and are mounted through the cowl to the interior of the car. Before I remove them I have been trying to figure a way to seal the outside of the cowl, like a tub of sorts, and fill with water. I figure that I could pin poit the problem from there. Would probably be better then welding plates in to block off the air vents...LOL. Good luck finding it...

Your leaks might be rust around the "tophat" part of the air intake. Remove the plastic/fiberglass air ducts inside and get up in there with a good flashlight and have a look, or look from the outside. Pop out the little oval plastic plugs in the firewall area and have a look with a mirror. If they're rusty and you are going to fix, you must cut open the cowl and weld in new metal, or patch somehow. You can use new "tophats" made for a Mustang.

Look here -> http://www.stripmasterspor15.com/car022.html

Your wiper pivot seals are another culprit.

To replace the rubber gaskets around the rim of the air vents, I used some foam rubber stuff I bought at Canadian Tire (in the US try Lowes or Home Depot or maybe the auto section of Walmart or something). I used the same stuff but maybe a bit thinner for the taillights. Read all about it here -> http://www.enbcom.com/discus/messages/394/242.html

Not my car...

022car28.jpg

Thanks for the feedback fellas, looks ugly my car has been garaged its whole life, hope I can get away from doing it underneath. Rather than cutting.

Here's a photo of the different products I found, I think I had to combine them to get the right thickness gasket. They're sticky on one side.

245.jpg

-
Back