64 Barracuda Rebuild of old system Classic Auto Air

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All,
Just got my originial knee knocker A/C system back from Classic Auto Air, they did a great job. The only issue is they sent it back all stock instead of converting the Compressor over to 134, I have been told I need to remove the EPR Valve so it will flow better. I have been told two things, 1) it might not have an EPR valve because it is a bolt on system and 2) It does have one.

But I don't know where it is, I think it is behind the compressor under the great big fitting that is held in by two allen head bolts. Any one have any ideas?

I also have to install a thermostat couple on the evaporator capillary tubes to prevent freezing, which I understand all that. Makes sense to regulate the clutch if there is no vavle to regulate freon flow.

I am excited about the process so far, Classic Auto Air has been great, I will call them when I get home from work about the vavle but I am also polling all my Awesome A Body friends....

Thanks again Ya'all

I'm not the A/C expert by any means, but I have a 65 A body with factory A/C and it does not have an EPR valve. I think all A-bodies from 65 to at least 67 had no EPR in the system. Not sure what makes the air compressor cycle on and off, but it does.
Hopefully some of our experts will chime in with a more complete explanation.

Pbiggs,
Well I took off the manifold and all that is in there is a new screen. I think your right on the EPR valve, at least on the units that are divorced, I don't know about married heater boxes....

BUT I did some research and on a stock off the shelf system from that era cycles on and off by a capiliary line from the evaporator to the cool slider switch, I saw this first hand on my unit, and a parts unit that I have. From that cool slider switch with the capilary line is the clutch wire, so that to me makes sense.

NOW, on my unit that was just rebuilt it also has capilary lines on the back side of the high and low lines. With the 134 in it now I guess there is a chance of icing, so, there is a thermo coupler on the high side that has a switch in-line with the clutch to also cycle the clutch to help reduce Icing, I think if it was a married set I wouldnt need it because it would draw warm air to prevent that.

I will take pictures of the whole thing as I go.....

-
Back