'64 Dart build-up.

-

funnycar farmer

Reaction score
I've been stuck on working on B-bodies for awhile now, but back into the swing of the ""A's"". Here is a link to Tom Lynch's soon to be on an East Coast drag strip '64 Dart. A rarified SoCal, original owner find car, it has to be one the most unmolested cars I've unearthed to date. They are still out there, waiting to be found!!

http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/toms-dart/

Dale

Hey Dale, I can't wait to see this one on the ground!! I have the same car in the same condition and I am mocking it up for a 383 4 speed. I already have the springs moved in and the subframes tied. I have been contemplating doing the wheel arches like you are doing.

1. Is that template from the front fender opening?
2. If so what size tire will fit in the modified rear?
3. Would you sell me a template?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, Indeed you are correct. Its a match to the front opening, much like the customs of the sixties. It turned out really well, I was surprised at how it mimics the front openings much better than a half-circle radius job. The customers tire is a 29 inch tall, by 12 inch wide give or take a bit. I drilled extra mounting holes in the front perch, to assist in lowering the car down to adjust squat, as the Calvert springs sag very little over time, usually not more than 1/2" inch. But with the template, you can ""creep"" it down, and not make the opening as tall. I did have to manipulate it a bit with freehanding, to blend in the front opening to make it wider. But- here is the great news! It was EASY! All you have to do is get a large piece thick paper, tape it to the opening, and use you fingers pressing against the edges to transfer the opening to the paper. Then, just go back and line it with a pencil, cut with a razor blade, and you have an instant template.! This is the same method I used when I had access to one of the remaining Hurst Dart's, to make a template for their back openings so I can replicate them for customers.. If you need me to fill in any questions though, I'd be glad to help!

Dale

Mighty cool project, Dale. And good photos to show how you did it. If Tom wants to ditch that ugly old knee knocker A/C, I could give it a good home!

ATB

BC

Mighty cool project, Dale. And good photos to show how you did it. If Tom wants to ditch that ugly old knee knocker A/C, I could give it a good home!

ATB

BC

Thats funny! I thought it was worthless , then Bob Mosher was out at the shop one day, dropped everything, and wanted the whole system!!! I was a beautiful, untampered with system. He'll install it in one of his personal rides....
I'll get some pics of the thru-the-floor subframe connectors. And the Calvert Springs installed. It's rollcage time now...... Car is coming along real nicely. Cannot wait to get it in his hands, then I can start on the altered wheelbase 'Cuda........:)

Thanks for the reply, Dale, though not the answer I was hoping for! I was hoping that your impression was the general consensus among the crew out there. There just isn't anything that says "retro COOL" to me than the ol' CoolAire. All I really need is the front panel, I have three evaporators. If/when I find a useable front panel, I'll convert one of mine to R-134, hook up a Sanden-style compressor in the 64ragtop and be coolin' in style! If you or Bob Mosher happens across a front panel in decent shape, please let me know. Thanks again, and I'll be lookin for the'Cuda!!

ATB

BC

-
Back