64 Dart cluster connector

-
I have a question please ,My fuel guage goes to full when i fill it with fuel then after 40 miles it will drop down to 1/4 but my temp guage is working fine ,any suggestions.Thanks
You have an aftermarket fuel sender

All aftermarket senders have the same issue, the sender is not calibrated for our cars gas tank shape and the curve the gauge requires.

THESE NUMBERS ARE FOR EXAMPLE ONLY I PULLED THEM OUT OF MY BUTT.
THEY REPRESENT THE SHAPE OF THE GAS TANK

So the first 5 gallons or so lower the tank level about 6 inches, the next 10 gallons, another 4 inches, and the last 3 gallons the final 2 inches.

So the liner sender shows full for several gallons, then get in the 3/4 to 1/4 of its sweep range and shows 1/2 to 1/4 for the rest of the time till you are at the last 3 gallons range and then shows empty.

Some will argue that's fine because you only need to know when the tank is empty.

My counter is I want to know when I have 18, 13.5, 9 and 4.5 gallons (I know they are not that accurate) but then I can judge about how far I can go with the fuel I have left.

There is a device called a meter match that has seen great success.

Or you can look for a good used sender, or get a used sender rebuilt.

Look at the chart.

Product Review: A100 Fuel Sender For 67 Dart

On my testing chart...
Starting at 18 gal on the right

The gauge will show about 1/2 tank when only 6 gallons have been used. 9 gallons used would be 1/2 tank.

The next 4 gallons will bring the gauge to 1/4

That's about 10 gallons used. The gauge should show about 1/2.

Keep in mind my gauge ( not the sender) and your gauge will not be completely the same. (Age, abuse, environment)

BUT they should be close.

Screenshot_20240316-092953.png

-
Back