64 Dart Fuel tank sending unit question

-

JustaMom

Reaction score
Another question for you wonderful dart experts! We are replacing the fuel tank on our 64 dart gt, so we also want to replace the sending unit. I find the part on-line, but it comes in two sizes. I am certain ours has never been replaced (considering the condition of the car), so what size outlet was original sending unit on the 64? "3/8" with or without "fuel return"? or "5/16 outlet? Our repair manual doesn't state. Thank you guys (and gals)

I called a parts store to inquire about why a certain valve seat was considered "premium", like what was the difference in material from the "regular" valve seats, the gentleman said he had no idea what they were! -never thought I would learn this much about cars!

You should have a single 5/16 line one that sender.

FYI...NOT all senders are the same.... several aftermarket senders , esp the less expensive ones have linear variable grounds in them. Depending on the set of gauges you use this will present quite an issue.....SO before you BUY ASK. the sender's range in ohms is 73 at empty and 10 at full.

I am presently learning this lesson the hard way....linear sending units will cause Autometer gauges and stock gauges to read all over the place......NOT GOOD! SO make certain you use a reputable vendor ( NOT EBAY) and ask them the specifications before you buy. IF you have NOT purchased your gauges yet depending on the model you choose AM offers an "adjustable" fuel gauge so you can dial in a goofy sending unit....Abody Joe has one.....mine is all over the place, so NOW I paid for the online cheapy and now I will be paying round $120 for the quality sending unit with correct electronics. Chrysler never made a 3/8's unit that is totally aftermarket and likely a cheapo....unless you are running over 450 horses a 5/16 line will be fine...above that you will likely be installing a fuel cell and re-plumbing the entire car.
Good luck
PS Inline tube sells a good one from what I hear and so does Mancini racing both vendors can be googled PDQ

Hmmm... I'm going to guess that Rockauto offers the not-so-reliable aftermarket product as their prices are low. We're keeping our original gauges and have the original 6/ engine. Thank you for the resources.

Just checked Inline tube= $79 (not bad)

-
Back