64 Dart Gt EFI Magnum Swap

-

magnummopar

Reaction score
We have done a few of these over the years and figured since we sell the parts, we might as well do a write up following a build. This is a side project right now since business is good but we will try our best to keep the updates coming.

1964 Dodge Dart GT w/ 225 Slant 6 and a push button Auto with single jug drum brakes. Also 7-1/4 rear.

Engine - 5.2L Magnum with our Mild Camshaft and Engine Quest heads. We will be keeping the fuel injection. :burnout:

Trans- 44re Automatic, converted to use the push button or floor shift and budgets (on the fence) and a toggle to switch the overdrive off.

Brakes - Our Disk Brake conversion, Front or 4 wheel TBD

Exhaust - TBD, either our prototype headers or the stock Jeep Grand Cherokee manifolds.

Engine Mounts - Schumacher's

Centerlink - Custom made, tired of looking for originals

Fuel tank - Tanks inc, EFI and bolt in ready.

Rear - 8-3/4 or 8.8, gears TBD

Still kicking around gauges, speedo, etc. I would like to keep the original gauges while using the modern drive train.

Pulled the drive train out and currently sitting on the lift covered in super clean. A couple more washes and some scraping and it will be ready to mock the trans up and modify the tunnel.

The car is actually pretty clean with no rust spots to deal with. This is going to be a jump in and drive kind of Mopar.

Attachments

• 20151117_101427.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 545
  • 20151117_153857.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 506
  • 20151118_112808.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 505
  • 20151118_112741.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 509
Well we are getting things mocked up, just making sure everything is straight. Next is making a template to adjust the tunnel to fit the overdrive trans in.

As always we are running our Kevko oil pans. The Jeep exhaust manifolds don't clear. No surprise there but always good to double check.

Attachments

• 20151119_142247.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 20151119_140536.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 537
We all know that the 44re doesn't fit without a little mod but we really want to keep is all Mopar. So here we are making some room.

Attachments

• 20151124_135531.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 454
  • 20151124_130812.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 20151124_130452.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 20151124_162311.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 465
I have a trans thread going to but wanted to show real quick the support we got finished today.

Attachments

• 20151201_134153_resized.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 426
Still getting the tunnel finished and some of the other details done. I will tackle the push button shifter after I get the headers done. I can only handle so much fun at one time.....plus I have several harnesses to build that need to exit the shop before Christmas. Daughter goes to moms for a week after holiday so I will get lots of extra work done then.

Yea, engine and trans are in, just put front disks on, some new ball joints etc. Tanks Inc tank is loaded w pump and sender, bolts right in. Finish tunnel tin, shifter(looks like 65 floor shift, get driveshaft cut, bleed brakes and route fuel lines. We are trying to get it ready, along with 74 sport 5 speed for Show n Shine in Medford at end of May. I will get J to post some updated pics when we get a chance.
Still have to figure out wheels and tires....thinking steelies w poverty caps...

Tank ready to install.

tanks Inc FI.jpg

how is this going?
Well, between building 5 A bodies at the same time, raising a 6 year old daughter by myself and running a business full time, its a bit slower than I would like but still moving forward. I am working on the headers now, engine is in, brakes are hung, tank is in. Still need to hook up all the brake lines, make the fuel lines and hook up filter, harness is done, pcm is flashed. Still working on shifter and small details.

what are you going to be doing for exhaust manifolds?
The 65 4 door we are building is getting factory manifolds, this one is going to get headers i am building with the hopes of getting them reproduced and selling them. Unfortunately, this is a very expensive deal if I want USA made headers, Chinese could be done in 45 days, its just not what I want to sell. I am working on redone 340 HO manifolds but at this point its a $15000+ deal which would require lots of interest that we dont seem to be getting at this point. Same with our 67+ headers.

I'm interested if you come up with a set of headers that will fit. 5.9 magnum and a 66 dart with power steering!

I'll second that. Really like to have a different option than fenderwell

They might work with PS as all tubes are up high until #7. I will have to see what demand is, before I commit to making a bunch of sets.

Trying to get exhaust in our cars is a royal pain. I'm always jealous of the Ford and Chevy cars I see have so much room to get the exhaust in.
I always thought it would look cool to have upswept manifolds, like Max wedge, on small block Abodies.

We were going to have 340 manifolds made again but nobody seemed very interested. We also have not had enough interest to produce our early headers or even later headers.

You would think that the early A guys would want more exhaust options.
A shorty header that clears PS and would have factory ground clearance with a 2 1/2 inch head pipe. I know TTI makes them, and I'm sure there high quality. But a little on the pricey side.
I use 340 manifolds on my 340 with Magnum heads. I had to make adapters to go from the small port exhaust on the head to the tall port on the manifold. I would have bought a shorty header then if I would have had that option.

You would think that the early A guys would want more exhaust options.
A shorty header that clears PS and would have factory ground clearance with a 2 1/2 inch head pipe. I know TTI makes them, and I'm sure there high quality. But a little on the pricey side.
I use 340 manifolds on my 340 with Magnum heads. I had to make adapters to go from the small port exhaust on the head to the tall port on the manifold. I would have bought a shorty header then if I would have had that option.

I intend to use my 340 manifolds on my 5.9 magnum. Can you explain what the adaptors you made consisted of. I thought the manifolds would bolt right up. Is this incorrect?

Thanks

CE

-
Back