64 dart gt magnum conversion

-

cmac64dart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hi mopar peeps, I'm trying to post some pictures of my project to no avail. so instead I'm asking for advice on 225/6 conversion to a 318 magnum with 4speed od..aka Dakota drivetrain. Yes I know folks that the 360 is more of a performance motor but growing up in a mopar only family with countless 318 vehicles id just like to give this freebee magnum(my bud gave it to me) yeh its not a la, some love. I've read numerous build ups on the motor and think I'm good with that aspect. I guess my questions begin with info on the motor mount/,keep fuel inj or go to carb, (I understand carbs),tunnel mods, Any help will be appreciated and I don't want to spend the wrong money in the many directions this build could bring me. Thanks

Im happy with my magnum in my early A. Ther are many ways to skin this cat, most documented in the Early A section of this site. The easiest approach IMO would be to go with a carbureted setup, stock exhaust manifolds and a 904 auto transmission. Motor mounts can be bought from Schumacher and youll need the dropped centrlink from a 64-66 early A V8 car.

Threads a bit older but if your using the overdrive trans you will have to go with factory injection. Which IMO is the best route.

Threads a bit older but if your using the overdrive trans you will have to go with factory injection. Which IMO is the best route.
To use the '96-'03 transmissions yeah. The '89-'95 transmissions don't require the computer, but don't come in '96+ vehicles.

Infecteddog....while you are correct, running an 88-95 500 or 518 doesnt require the pcm like the OBD II 96+ does, having the pcm hooked up does eliminate all the vacuum switched, timed relay, pressure switch nonsense that people use with the carbed OD trans combo. Kind of nice to have the pcm do all the work for you...I have been installing injected magnum V8 swaps in all forms of jeeps since the late 90's and non of them ever wanted a carb, they were purposely trying to get rid of a carb or just go from an injected 2.5 or 4.0. Of course dealing with newer vehicles requires injection to pas smog inspections in critical states, unlike old Mopars which are exempt. This alone has biased me against carbs as they are a pain to deal with due to our fabulous new corn fuel. Injection doesnt care....we havent built anything with a carb in our shop for over a decade, actually almost two!

I put an entire 98 Dakota 2wd drive train in a 71 swinger when my son was learning to drive, he is now 26. At the time I had never heard of anybody doing this swap and without all the available parts today like pump in tank set ups it was not a cake walk. I spent 2 days just getting Dakota pump in the Dart tank. now I can make a phone call and have one delivered in two days ...aint modern technology grand?

We are in the process of doing a 64 dart, 74 sport, 65 4 door, 69 hard top and just got a 67 GT Convert. Working on a 340 Magnum build for the 67 convert. Picks will be uploaded soon.
Evan

Infecteddog....while you are correct, running an 88-95 500 or 518 doesnt require the pcm like the OBD II 96+ does, having the pcm hooked up does eliminate all the vacuum switched, timed relay, pressure switch nonsense that people use with the carbed OD trans combo. Kind of nice to have the pcm do all the work for you...I have been installing injected magnum V8 swaps in all forms of jeeps since the late 90's and non of them ever wanted a carb, they were purposely trying to get rid of a carb or just go from an injected 2.5 or 4.0. Of course dealing with newer vehicles requires injection to pas smog inspections in critical states, unlike old Mopars which are exempt. This alone has biased me against carbs as they are a pain to deal with due to our fabulous new corn fuel. Injection doesnt care....we havent built anything with a carb in our shop for over a decade, actually almost two!

I put an entire 98 Dakota 2wd drive train in a 71 swinger when my son was learning to drive, he is now 26. At the time I had never heard of anybody doing this swap and without all the available parts today like pump in tank set ups it was not a cake walk. I spent 2 days just getting Dakota pump in the Dart tank. now I can make a phone call and have one delivered in two days ...aint modern technology grand?

We are in the process of doing a 64 dart, 74 sport, 65 4 door, 69 hard top and just got a 67 GT Convert. Working on a 340 Magnum build for the 67 convert. Picks will be uploaded soon.
Evan

How much work is needed to fit the 98 trans in the 71-74 dart? What tanks are you using as well? Looking at CoPart and CL for trucks and Vans to use..

Reason's even simpler- the newer transmissions tend to be cheaper and more likely to be better.

There's not really downsides to the EFI, just like there's so many upsides to the newer transmissions even though they aren't a necessity.

Yep.

Derwud, we sell the Tanks Inc tank and pump set up. Not very expensive and works great. They make a really nice product.
There are a few threads here showing the modification of the crossmember, we plan on making a cutting template and hopefully, a brace/bracket kit for the swap. Right now we are knee deep in manufacturing headers for 67-74 A body with ps and hoping to have an early 63-66 header although not sure if using ps is possible at this point. The real problem is getting them made in USA for less than $700/pr to the customer. The 44RE trans(from 96+ Dodge/Jeep w/5.2) can be converted from 4x4 to 4x2 by any competent trans shop for a $100-$200 typically making getting a donor much easier/cheaper. If you have any swap questions, either check out our site, magnummopar or call the shop at 541-955-0363 after 9 pacific time. Be happy to give you some free advise on picking a donor. We are trying to find extra $1200 to be a legit vendor at FABO, assuming I can quit buying more A bodies...have to go pick up the 67 GT Convert in Oakland next week.

Infecteddog, we have squeezed over 400 hp out of a 5.9 with factory injection and the best part is that it was under $2000. These magnum engines are the best deal going for cheap HP. The real key to magnum HP is using the EQ heads, they flow a lot more than the Edelbrock aluminum and dont require $300 in machine work before install. With instillation of 2.02" intake valve and mild clean up they flow better than the Gen3 hemi heads. A guy in Cottage Grove OR beats the crap out of all the RB guys with a 5.2 in a 68 fish that pulls big wheel stands. He is destroying guys with $15000 big block engines and its a nothing special 5.2 lower end using EQ heads and a very large cam from the same guy that grinds our cams. He does run a carb though, think 850 dp of something ridiculously large for such a small engine.

Derwud, we sell the Tanks Inc tank and pump set up. Not very expensive and works great. They make a really nice product.
There are a few threads here showing the modification of the crossmember, we plan on making a cutting template and hopefully, a brace/bracket kit for the swap. Right now we are knee deep in manufacturing headers for 67-74 A body with ps and hoping to have an early 63-66 header although not sure if using ps is possible at this point. The real problem is getting them made in USA for less than $700/pr to the customer. The 44RE trans(from 96+ Dodge/Jeep w/5.2) can be converted from 4x4 to 4x2 by any competent trans shop for a $100-$200 typically making getting a donor much easier/cheaper. If you have any swap questions, either check out our site, magnummopar or call the shop at 541-955-0363 after 9 pacific time. Be happy to give you some free advise on picking a donor. We are trying to find extra $1200 to be a legit vendor at FABO, assuming I can quit buying more A bodies...have to go pick up the 67 GT Convert in Oakland next week.

I have the 74 Dart 4 door for my Daughter and I am looking for a 67 - 74 2 door A body 4spd to make to make a daily driver. All the while building a 70 Charger R/T

-
Back