64 Dart mirror & seat belt question

-

JustaMom

Reaction score
Hello early A body experts!
Can the glass on the duel-post side view mirror be replaced? Also, we have another side view mirror (for the passenger side) but the ball joint is to loose so the mirror head slips, is there a way to make the ball joint tighter?
Lastly, we need to replace the seat belts for our 64 dart convertible. Modern convertibles have shoulder belts, has anyone put modern shoulder seat belts in their convertibles? I'd love suggestions on how I can get the safest belts in the car as my kid will be driving the car. Thanks!

Hello early A body experts!
Can the glass on the duel-post side view mirror be replaced?

Yes. Push the glass against the spring behind it, remove the lock ring, and remove the glass, then reverse this procedure to reinstall.

Also, we have another side view mirror (for the passenger side) but the ball joint is to loose so the mirror head slips, is there a way to make the ball joint tighter?

You might be able to tighten the ball joint plate once you remove the glass.

we need to replace the seat belts for our 64 dart convertible. Modern convertibles have shoulder belts, has anyone put modern shoulder seat belts in their convertibles?

See here.

Hey thanks Slantsixdan!! It seems like you always have good info.

Moe: The exterior and interior of the car hasn't changed since we acquired the car. My husband and kid have changed the drums, the breaks, shocks, leaf springs, gas tank, starter, alternator, steering pump, new carb. I'm sure I'm missing something. We decided to have someone else mess with the engine as my husband is a real rookie at doing any of this stuff. And still we need to find someone here in So. Cal who really knows the slant six as we still have some idle issues. We had the transmission rebuilt. The boys haven't put the signal switch in yet as the big dog has been oot. The kid and I visited several paint shops and upholstery shops last weekend..... each one is going to cost more than we paid for the car. We pulled up in the dart and they say "oh you got a classic", I could just see the dollars signs in their eyes. We are not looking for show quality paint and upholstery. The next project my kid will probably do is try to restore the steering wheel so it will be ready to paint. I still need to find a few things, like radio antenna etc. I would like to get a new windshield. Most of the paint shops said they'd take out the windshield to paint the car but we need to find not only the windshield but the moldings too. The convertible top frame is missing the (hydrolic) thingys on both sides. It will be nice when its done.

Might want to give it a thought and save $$$$$ the top can be a manual top as my 270 is and our 63 gt was. Keep us updated on the progress

our quotes for "not show quality" was from $2700 (One Day Paint who didn't remove the windshield) to $8K! Upholstery about 3500.

Yup, paint costs a fortune. Take a good look at those links I just posted. How extensive is the upholstery work the car needs?

For the mirror with the loose ball joint just add a drop of superglue. Seriously, just one drop will tighten it up nicely and it doesn't stick in place or cause any issues. My wife had a Vega when we got married and the mirror head flopped all around. I got tired of that so I thought I would put it where it should be and glue it. The only glue handy was superglue so I gave it a try. It worked great until we sold the car and I dscovered I could even adjust the mirror and it stayed tight. Have used this trick on several mirrors since.

Thanks for the suggestions. The upholstery needs to be completely redone. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them (if it stops raining - imagine that, it actually rains in southern California).

-
Back