64 Dart - pushbutton trans - won't go to R from N - goes in OK from D-2-1

-

64DartGTinAZ

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So, this weekend, the shifter worked just fine.

Today, I needed to move the Dart, and I lifted the park lever and pushed on the R button, and it went in, but wouldn't seat/pop the N up.

If I go to Drive/2/1, then to Reverse, it works fine. But, if it's in Neutral, the Reverse button won't go all the way.

Any body have an idea where to start? I looked at the FSM, and it looks like a lotta work to pull the shifter mechanism out, so if it's something simpler than that, I'd sure love to hear it.

Anybody have a good picture/drawing/diagram of what the back side of the shifter mechanism looks like? Can't see much from the diagram in the FSM.

Thanks!

I don't have much experience with push buttons. My shifter is still in the car. I could try and get you a picture of the back Weds after work.

I could try and get you a picture of the back Weds after work.

Thanks...I can try to do that myself. (Sure used to be easier to do stuff like that when I could see things closer than 18"+ without my reading glasses!)

Thanks...I can try to do that myself. (Sure used to be easier to do stuff like that when I could see things closer than 18"+ without my reading glasses!)

I looked all over the net for a picture of that shift unit to show someone else, but never found one.
All I could find was the factory adjusment procedure at the trans.
The mechanism is just a series of different ramps that the buttons push on to make the main sliding unit slide and move the cable that is attached to it.
I'd bet a good shot of WD 40 on the slide behind the dash will take care of the issue's you are having.

"Reading glasses" and "18 inches" I heard that.

Yo, T.B. and others....WD 40 is a miracle drug for lots of problems, and it might even unstick 64dart;s current problem. The problem I have seen is that any greasy or oily residue will attract dust and grit and eventually cause more problems. Mopar pushbutton control units have several rods that slide past each other to function and grit between the sliding parts is a sure cause for trouble. I have been pulling the control unit loose from the dash, flushing the sliding rods with carb or brake cleaner, (NOT the pushbuttons - those cleaners are not kind to plastics) and thoroughly saturating the sliding rods with spray silicone lube that does not leave a wet residue.

Yes, it's a much more involved and time consuming process than WD 40 on everything, but I like doing repairs that are going to last, not cause more grief in the future. FWIW.

BC

BC

-
Back