'64 Dart with 8 3/4" advice needed

-

37fleetwood

Reaction score
well to make a long story short, after threatening to put an 8.8 Explorer differential in my Dart my Dad has cut loose with an A-Body 8 3/4".
it has the 741 case with 3.91 and a posi. I'm planning on going through it and was curious as to the general opinion of using the "Green" bearings vs. the regular bearings. also I'm curious about the brakes, with Duster type discs up front I need to move to big bolt pattern in back, I can try to go figure out a set of B-Body brakes out of the pile out at my Dad's or I have the '77 Aspen 7 1/4 here if the brakes will fit. both have 5 bolt backing plates. if these are not an easy fit are any others easy? such as 8 1/4", or 9 1/4" I'm just dreading looking through several dozen backing plates and as many drums to find a workable set, and then try to figure out what shoes to go get.

I think the 10x2" brakes should be fine out back, seeing you already have disc. up front, the easiest & cheapest thing to do is, send your axles off to Moser & have them drilled for 4.5" bolt pattern, should be out around 150.00 with shipping & labor, the other option is Moser (standard length) A body axles with green or stock tapered bearings, or contact Cass/Docdiff, he sells sets of Yukons with green bearings & "currected splines" for 300.00.

If it's primarily a street driven car, my advise is to go with the OE tapered bearings. The "Green" bearings are more of a straight line performance piece and offer no side load protection and will wear out in short order on the street. I have seen more than a few cars wear out a set of Green bearings in one summer driving season during mostly street driving. Geof

I ordered a set of the regular timkin bearings for it and the brakes off of a later 7 1/4 fit perfectly. just a matter of cleaning it up and getting it put together and in.
here is a photo or two of the 7 1/4 brakes on the 8 3/4, I need to replace the studs these axles were in an a-body with a 440 tunnel ram. also as you can see baby needs new shoes!
P1020425.jpg

P1020426.jpg

-
Back