'64 Dodge A100 Deora Show Truck?

-

67 Power Wagon

Hemi Pawr or BUST!
Reaction score
o, being a Dodge fanatic, and wanting a slant 6 and not being able to find that in the Lindberg kits, I've found it in the Deora Show Car model. But why they call it a "Show Car" is beyond me, as it truly is a truck thats loosely based off the '60's Dodge A100 pick ups, (like that of the Little Red Wagon model we all know of!

But, I merely bought the kit just for the engine! I want the Slant 6 for another project, I want to build my Grandfathers last car, that he had for 30 years to see him through, He passed owning a Plymouth Volare, with a 225 Slant 6 powering it....

See the following:

1964_Dodge_Deora_225_Slant_6_Engine_Parts_000_detail.jpg

225 Slant 6 Engine ---^

1964_Dodge_Deora_225_Slant_6_Engine_Chrome_Parts_000_detail.jpg

Chromed Engine parts ---^

1964_Dodge_Deora_005_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_004_detail.jpg

Hideous Yellow body ---^

1964_Dodge_Deora_Chrome_Parts_000_detail.jpg

Other Chromed parts ---^

1964_Dodge_Deora_003_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_001_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_002_detail.jpg

This is my 331 "Red Ram" Hemi, prior to be getting "Chromed"! The whole block, both heads, valve "Valley" oil pan, and timing chain cover/water pump unseen (they, already chrome!) but the whole thing EXCEPT the valve covers will be CHROME, its a show truck, right?

The Valve covers, where they should be red, will be same color as the body color, with a black wire router "cover" down the center of them!

More to come as progress is gained!

OK so a bit of progress to this truck....I've pictures the "start" of the chroming process of the engine, so. Here is the rest of that process....

1964_Dodge_Deora_006_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_008_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_009_detail.jpg

I have to think about what intake I want to use on the show truck and then how I plan to show-horn it in place as the inside of the trucks "bed" has a dog house that I plan to cut the top out of and either "raise" it, and plate over with "glass" as a table to see through when the camper is on the bed, OR leave it the height it is, and still put a glass top on it, to be seen through to be able to see the 331 Hemi inside powering this rig.....

I have a pretty good choice of intakes if I want, I just have to think about what I want to "see" inside this show truck, I may end up using a Hillborn set up.....Either that or a side draft fed, blower.....Not sure yet tho! one thing is certain, the intake WILL be chrome!

So, a little progress on my Dodge Deora "Show Car"...

The original "Slant 6" removed for reasons I'm not tellin' (Got other plans for it!) BUT, was replaced with a Dodge Red Ram 331 Hemi, as seen it was all chromed! Only the valve covers are going to reflect the body color!

1964_Dodge_Deora_010_detail.jpg

So, as the motor was chromed, ENTIRELY, it got some, color enhancements with the body color the truck will be with some trim, that will also be seen on the truck body. The engine however, took me a bit to think up what and how I was going to shoe-horn a 331 Red Ram Hemi inside, AND keep it somewhat confined, plus overall fit as well, and have something to actually look "at" and be pleasing to the eye....Remember, this engine, WILL be all but between the passengers in side the cab! I'll explain a bit more in this posting as pics are seen!

1964_Dodge_Deora_011_detail.jpg

The engine got a side draft blower, all chromed. It needed this to keep overall height down so that the interior and the exterior "Dog House" didn't need a lot of height....Plus this model with the side-draft carburetion, will be nice to go with the original chrome intake vents that were for the Slant 6 that came with the model.

1964_Dodge_Deora_012_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_013_detail.jpg

Side shots of this engine! Looks good to date, some detail painting is needed, AND some actual details need added, to come up to my detail nerd self....LOL

1964_Dodge_Deora_014_detail.jpg

Because of the engine swap, I had to remove the factory engine mounts and make my own to fit and hold the 331 Hemi a little higher in the frame, as I did NOT want it to "hang" any lower then the factory one did, and to that, actually wanted it a bit "higher" as I plan to "slam" this whole truck too....low-profile tires and rims as a Pro-Touring sort of truck.....NOT 4X4, (I know I'm a redneck, BUT....not this one!) I also what and plan to keep the camper to make it fit as well! (Thats the "redneck" addition to the model from me), BUT NOT have it permanently mounted, it will be a removable detail!

1964_Dodge_Deora_015_detail.jpg

So far the frame looks GREAT! I'm happy! Now, thats it for now, interior fitting of the Dog House is next, stay tuned!

ENJOY!

So as I mentioned, the Dog House in the interior needed fitted to accept the 331 Hemi engine with blower....This is going to prove fun!

See:

1964_Dodge_Deora_016_detail.jpg

As you can see, the Dog House, has got its "top" removed already, (I was unsure how much it needed so I took the whole flat area off of this to allow the engine to "poke" through. Thing is, what I didn't know till I looked is the Dog House, is off-center! I got a few plans that you'll see in just a bit. The Dog House top will be replaced with Glass, to be able to see it from almost any angle when I'm done.

1964_Dodge_Deora_017_detail.jpg

1964_Dodge_Deora_018_detail.jpg

So here you see the engine in the frame, and the interior fitted in place, now as you look, you can see what I was speaking of. A little work to the Dog House, and the engine will look GREAT in place! Fitting it is half the fun!

1964_Dodge_Deora_019_detail.jpg

This picture shows what I'll be doing to the Dog House, The top and the front "rear-ward" angled part seen outlines in black, will also be "glass" for engine viewing.....

More to come as progress happens!

ENJOY!

Ive seen that kit before but never opened its cooler then i was thinking i thought it would be crappy . It dont look to bad . love the motor swap

Thanks Asa! Yeah it had a slant 6 in it that I wanted/needed for a replica model build PLUS, I wanted to mold the slanty so.....Thats done I got a mold, and now the slant that was in this, is going into another model I'm trying to locate all the parts for still...a late '70's Dodge pick up straight bed......I got the truck, just no damned bed for it yet.....Using a Little Red Express for this one. but my Dad had one that was 225 Slant 6 powered so. 4x4....Was a great truck till someone hit the thing when it was parked out front my Dads house and literally pushed it into the damned river!

I think, I'm gonna attempt to get a second one of this truck tho.....Make it somewhat "normal" NO odd front opening **** on it, with normal type doors, BUT take that "camper" and see what it take to turn it into a custom van.......As I do think its possible!

With me, and models? IT HAD to have a Hemi!

A bit of trivia: The windshield on the real Deora was the rear window from a Ford station wagon.

OMM,
Thats interesting to know! BUT it makes sense on the real one as the original A100 would not have made a good "fit" for a windshield in the Deora!

That thing is gonna be magazine worthy.

Why thanks Rob! I do appreciate the compliment on this one, I don't see it, but we all are our own worse critics I guess! But thank you!

-
Back