64 Front drum kit incomplete?

-

victordemise

1964 Dart 270 4 Door
Reaction score
I have yet to open up my front drums and look at them, but the spring kit I bought doesn't have the hold down spring/pin/cap assembly (the one's you'd see at the three band nine o' clock positions).

I've never seen a Dodge drum setup that didn't have those parts.
Are the front drums somehow different? Does this kit I bought SUCK? (Auto Zone)??

There are unfamiliar parts, like a "U" shaped clip of some sort(?)

I don't really want to open up the brakes till I know I have the right parts kit, since this is my driving car and I can't afford a lot of down time.

Is anyone familiar with the 64 front drum set up, or maybe even have a link to a good picture?
THANX

I guess it's the right kit,:-? having looked around online, just not what I'm used to.
Still, if anyone's familiar with the 64 front drum setup, or has pics, let me know what you can.
Sure, once I pull the drum it should all be obvious:sign7:, I just don't want to get started and not be able to finish it in a timely manner.:confused:

This is from a 66 valiant front brake pictures that I just took, Not sure if the 63 where the same I hope this helps

SNAKE!!! 028.jpg

SNAKE!!! 029.jpg

SNAKE!!! 031.jpg

This is the left front from my 66. I expect the u clip is for the rear parking brake assy.
Joe
l_be1089c3d46f4e75ab30d700ef76ae24.jpg

l_b0fface37385493799a5b47a33b84da0.jpg

l_91e8ae74e8304d3090181bc865ffc203.jpg

l_6a64839505a24752972fab7da5cac32e.jpg

l_f0b21e2fdc084ff48df122ab9d2510f3.jpg

Thanks to both of you.

yooper (If I may call you that) that really helped.

It was the "hold down springs" that were odd to me, but I can see in your photos, they are different from what I'm used to (more like the ones in memike's photos, and his shows FOUR of those, two on either side, weird!)

Now I have a clue as to what's up! Those little black spring/hook hold-downs are new to me. Fun Fun!!

I thank you both for taking the time to help!!

I only wish someone had mentioned the "Brake Spring Plier" tool!!
Those hold down springs are IMPOSSIBLE!!
Someone's going to bring me the tool, but so much for doing the job fast!

"There's FAST, CHEAP and RIGHT, and you can only have two-
If you want it fast and cheap, it wont be right
If you want it fast and right, it wont be cheap
and if you want it cheap and right, it wont be fast"

(Just for the record, one of those hold down springs had snapped, and caused my brake shoe to get skewed. "SCReeeeechhh!!" and that's why I'm doing the job.)

I only wish someone had mentioned the "Brake Spring Plier" tool!!
Those hold down springs are IMPOSSIBLE!!
Someone's going to bring me the tool, but so much for doing the job fast!

"There's FAST, CHEAP and RIGHT, and you can only have two-
If you want it fast and cheap, it wont be right
If you want it fast and right, it wont be cheap
and if you want it cheap and right, it wont be fast"

(Just for the record, one of those hold down springs had snapped, and caused my brake shoe to get skewed. "SCReeeeechhh!!" and that's why I'm doing the job.)
Hey, I was wondering, those are not what I'm used to either, can you post photo of brake job or how the hold down springs come out? I have the spring tool that works on the other ones with the cap and nail, but don't want to tear mine up on the 64. I haven't done them before..........

Hey, I was wondering, those are not what I'm used to either, can you post photo of brake job or how the hold down springs come out? I have the spring tool that works on the other ones with the cap and nail, but don't want to tear mine up on the 64. I haven't done them before..........
Go to the thread I started a few minutes ago, called Which brake spring plier tool? (or something) WE are trying to figure this out over there!!

I used a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers on the hold down springs. Its a bit of a challenge but after the first one ........

Having done more break jobs than I care to recount I've gotten pretty good at getting the springs on with nothing more than a screwdriver. hook the spring on the shaft of the screwdriver, put the tip on the stud and lift the screwdriver allowing the spring end to slide on the screwdriver shaft and over the retainer stud. safety glasses recommended!
Joe

How much did you end up paying for the rebuild, iv already took everything off the fronts, now just needing the rebuild kit.

I got the pads from advance auto they were cheap (20.00 possibly)! The spring and adjustor kits I got from year one. they were fairly cheap (about 30.00 for all).

Joe

-
Back