64 Valiant/Barracuda Splash Shield Gasket Installation?

-

Witchboard

Reaction score
Our car didn't come with any splash shields, so I bought those from helpful folks here on the forum. I bought the gasket set from Detroit Muscle, but I'm not sure how they install. I mean, I do, it's kinda obvious, but kinda not. Since I have no reference it's hard to determine. I presume I would install the splash shields first, then snap the gasket on them to cover the seams, except for the headlight shield which I think I need to install the side gasket before installing since I wouldn't be able to reach the holes after installation. I checked the service manual, but I'm not seeing any info on the splash shields. Any tips?

So you bought used shields. That's good. I believe you will find that the gaskets fasten to the shields first. Look at the shields carefully. You should find a bunch of small holes around the perimeter where the prior gaskets were attached to the shield with staples.

Right, I'm just not sure which way they go. I presume they are not "sandwiched" between the fender and the shield, but go on the inside towards the tire to seal the seams. The only thing I'm having an issue with is determining which way the gasket goes on the headlight shield. I'm not sure if it's supposed to wrap around the edge or go the other way. I'll take some pics and post up for reference. It may help what I'm trying to describe.

Piggyback questions here....do those seals go on the door jamb splash shields? Also, are there splash shields for the headlight end of the fenders on Valiants & Barracudas? My 65 Barracuda is a 58 year old mish mash of cobbleness that I'm trying to put back together right. Apologize for the hijack, but maybe it will help others.

Very clear explanation on the web page.

Contents
Headlight splash shields, 4pcs (behind headlights under front fenders)

Door hinge splash plate top splash shields (top of metal splash plate in frt of door hinges)
Door hinge splash plate edge seal (clip onto edge of metal splash plate in frt of door hinges)
Torsion bar splash shields (near frt of car on frame rails)
Starter area splash shield with stainless clips and drill bit

Piggyback questions here....do those seals go on the door jamb splash shields? Also, are there splash shields for the headlight end of the fenders on Valiants & Barracudas? My 65 Barracuda is a 58 year old mish mash of cobbleness that I'm trying to put back together right. Apologize for the hijack, but maybe it will help others.
I posted a pic of my splash shields, both sides for the door jamb and the headlight.

Very clear explanation on the web page.

Contents
Headlight splash shields, 4pcs (behind headlights under front fenders)

Door hinge splash plate top splash shields (top of metal splash plate in frt of door hinges)
Door hinge splash plate edge seal (clip onto edge of metal splash plate in frt of door hinges)
Torsion bar splash shields (near frt of car on frame rails)
Starter area splash shield with stainless clips and drill bit
I know where they go, there's just no installation instructions. As I said, I'm starting from scratch with no reference. I'm still needing to determine the proper bolt side to install the splash shields. But anyway, pics as an example. Does the gasket go over the lip, or does it go flush with the lip? The description on the label also says they are different from the left and right, but that's the extent. Putting them side by side seems the staples are in slightly different locations, but knowing which way the lip goes would be helpful in determining which goes where.

IMG20231021193800.jpg

IMG20231021193952.jpg

IMG20231021194054.jpg

IMG20231021194134.jpg

65 Barracuda I cut up, see if these help, can see the area where the seal was.

IMG_20191002_103429.jpg

IMG_20191002_103442.jpg

IMG_20191002_103314.jpg

IMG_20191002_103400.jpg

Thanks so much. I don't see anything over the lip, so looks like it goes flush like in my last picture.

Thanks so much. I don't see anything over the lip, so looks like it goes flush like in my last picture.
You are very welcome, wish I could help more but the parts are long gone.

-
Back