64 Valiant customized front valance

-

subcom

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to keep the front of my car bumper-less and am looking for some ideas to customize the empty area in the front valance (see pic). Does anybody have any pics or ideas of their work? I don't want to completely fill it in as it would block air flow to the radiator. I'm considering chopping another grill up and putting it in there.

Pic isn't of my car but is a good shot I found of the area in question.

thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Attachments

• valiant-front2.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,324
heres a couple ideas

Attachments

• ew12.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 1,052
  • t15.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 969
  • zb131.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 5q.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,210
Since you now have turn signals in the grille instead of the valance I would use the turn signal location for a set of fog lamps. I would use a factory set off of something modern. I would definately stay away from any cheap made in china ebay fog lamp.

Can a Dart valance be used? if so, it would be easier to fill the holes. If not and it was me I would cut off the metal, that protrudes to the bumper, off and fill the open area with new steel except for the area under the center grill. For that i would either modify a cover from a center grill or make something that matches.

Put fog lamps between the turn signal and heasdlight in the opening and do a grill type opening that is a continuation of the wedge in the grille. Get another grille and cut the center out and cut it to fit the opening.

The picture I posted was just for illustration purposes.
The car has the 64 standard Valiant grill.
I had considered just filling in the whole like the old Gasser pics above but was afraid it would restrict airflow to the radiator. By my estimate about 40% of the air to the radiator comes through that valance opening. It's a street car, in balmy South Florida.

Put fog lamps between the turn signal and heasdlight in the opening and do a grill type opening that is a continuation of the wedge in the grille. Get another grille and cut the center out and cut it to fit the opening.

I hadn't considered fog lights. That's a good idea. Was going to move signal indicators up and behind existing grill.

This is the front of my car. The valance is tweaked pretty bad. Need a new one really.

Attachments

• valiant-front1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 924
And this is one of the concepts...mocked up very poorly by myself.
Chopping up another grill or getting something similar to fill in that hole.

Attachments

• valiant-front1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 939
That looks good then you could make a recess about 3 inches in from the top and mount these http://www.kchilites.com/lights/26-series/2x6-all-season-black
Where are the turn signals?
Cause you could do a pair of the same lights with an amber bulb or cover and use those as turn signals/parkinglights too
Do ambers mounted to the top of the opening and the driving lights to the bottom of it

I like the idea of concealing all inducator lights behind the upper and lower grill. Keep it clean.

Hummm. Battle Star Galactica. Me likes.
Thanks again for all of the ideas!

Is that a 64 or 65 cuz those look like 65 fenders to me. The picture is in avatar looks identical to my car. White, 65 fenders, 64 grille, dogdish hubs, and 2dr hardtop body.

Maybe the grill in valence part should be blacked out or body color instead of chrome so it doesn't fight with the beautiful chrome grill the '64's have.

Is that a 64 or 65 cuz those look like 65 fenders to me. The picture is in avatar looks identical to my car. White, 65 fenders, 64 grille, dogdish hubs, and 2dr hardtop body.

Good catch! It's a bit of a hybrid now. It's a 65 Signet, but now has 64 fenders and grill. Everything else is still 65.

I don't think I would be too concerned about blocking the hole in the valance.
The Australian Valiants had a different grill (kind of cool) and a different valance without any hole for air to the radiator. See pics.
If the engineers found it sufficient for use in Australia I would think it would work in Florida too..

Come to think of it, what you need is an Australian valance! :wink:
Or how about modifying a '63 Valiant valance? They are more sculpted like the Australian one and have a smaller hole to fill than the newer ones.

Attachments

• 6584264681_6f051c0af2_z.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DW 504.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 787
That grill is cool, but the valance does seem to have a cut out directly under the bumper in your photo.

This is the front of my car. The valance is tweaked pretty bad. Need a new one really.

I have a valance in excellent shape. Needs a few pinholes filled and some light bonds but really straight.

What I considered was filling with some checkered wire. Hard to explain but it is woven in small boxes. I was going to paint it black or body color.

Someone made a custom air dam out of the on one but I cant remember who did it.

I have a valance in excellent shape. Needs a few pinholes filled and some light bonds but really straight.

What I considered was filling with some checkered wire. Hard to explain but it is woven in small boxes. I was going to paint it black or body color.

I thought about stretching some chicken wire across it also. LOL.
Are you selling your valance?

Yes if you are interested. I am in pigeon forge tn right now so I can not send pictures right now. Let me know if you are interested and we can work it out.

Yes if you are interested. I am in pigeon forge tn right now so I can not send pictures right now. Let me know if you are interested and we can work it out.

Thanks. I sent you a PM.

-
Back