64 valiant motor swap?

-

prostreeter9

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I thinking of swaping the 318 out with a 360 and was wondering what kind of issues I might be getting into? Will the accessories like oil pan, flex plate, motor mounts hook up, or will I need new ones?

Thanks
Jon

Jon,
If you are talking LA 318 to 360 the answer is no, oil pan is different, flex plate is weighted on 360 but not 318 and the 360 motor mounts are different. If you are talking Magnum 318 to 360, the pans are the same, the flex plate can be either weighted on not on 360, not on 318 and the motor mounts are the same.

If you are looking to upgrade, the Magnum is a great choice as it has hypereutectic pistons, moly rings and better gasket than the LA 360 plus it was made in the last decade so finding a used one in usable shape is much more likely. The Magnums require an oil pan change for a car, then either LA front cover and V belts or Magnum cover and serpentine belts. The latter choice gives you better alternator(130A internally regulated vs 60A external), updated AC compressor if you have AC, saginaw PS pump and of course serp belt. If you prefer the old school classic look, swap your v bet stuff on it and bathe in nostalgia without all the oil leaks.

The Magnum heads flow much better than LA and provide a higher compression ratio for cam upgrades. You also get a hydraulic roller cam and lifters plus 1.6 ratio rockers on studs instead of shafts like LA. You can either run factory injection or a carb but will need an electric fuel pump if using Magnum timing cover due to no fuel pump hole. There are many threads about this, plus the magnumswap.com web site and we have lots of info on our site.

Feel free to call the shop at 541-955-0363 or pm if you have any questions about either swap.
Evan

Find a "392" 360 pan & the specific pickup that goes with it. Hold the 273 mtr mts up to the 360 block ears & you'll see where to weld an ear & drill a hole in it (much easier than it sounds) on the one side of the eng (dr side iirc). get a 10239 B&M flex plate (if running a 904) to take care of the balance issue (keep the 360 offsett front harmonic dampener). May need to plug the AIR injection holes in the heads under the ex manifold flanges (visual on your 360 heads to see if they have em & plug em if they are there). use the water pump to match your rad nipple & remark the dampener for TDC & add a pointer & I've used an early iron pump with the nipple both on the dr side & you can see the marks if you aim the light just right. If needed the alum pump is taller so a pulley depth adjustment will be in order. Your all set!

-
Back