64 Valiant Rear End

-

god.favored

Reaction score
hey guys sorry if this has already been covered but i can't find anything about it.

Im new to a bodies, and just bought a 64 valiant for my dad and i to restore
the car runs pretty well and the transmission works well and shifts through all three gears, but when it gets into third it seems to be rapping up pretty high for how slow were going. someone suggested that maybe the rear end was replaced at some point, is this possible? how can i tell whats on there and if it is that what should i replace it with? (well that might be a bit down the road but id like to change it out eventualy if that is it.)

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

First off, welcome! Red convertible has lots of potential, should be a fun project.
My guess is with the V8, you've got the 7 1/4" rear end with a 2.76(? I think it is) ratio, so it shouldn't be winding out. I'm a wonderin' if maybe the trans is slipping in top gear. Assuming its an automatic, how's your trans fluid level?

thanks for the quick reply im not home right now but ill check it later today, but it goes into third and doesnt seem to back down or anything but it could be ill check it again

nice project. post a pic of the diff. to determin the size. if the diff is not tagged with the ratio you will need to check it in other ways. does the car have a tach? if it does clock it with another car and post the numbers. there is a formula that will help you.
MPH X Gear Ratio X 336 / tire diameter.
typical specs. 60 mph x 2.76 x 336 / 24"dia = 2318rpm at 60mph
you can ad 10% for trans slippage if you want.
Good luck!!!

nice project. post a pic of the diff. to determin the size. if the diff is not tagged with the ratio you will need to check it in other ways. does the car have a tach? if it does clock it with another car and post the numbers. there is a formula that will help you.
MPH X Gear Ratio X 336 / tire diameter.
typical specs. 60 mph x 2.76 x 336 / 24"dia = 2318rpm at 60mph
you can ad 10% for trans slippage if you want.
Good luck!!!

hey thanks thats good info ill check it out

-
Back