64 valiant wagon-5.7 hemi

-

azdurango

Reaction score
Hey guys, my dad and I are thinking about swapping a 5.7 hemi into his 64 valiant wagon that has a slant six. What is the easiest and most cost effective way to go about performing this swap, and where would one purchase parts from?
I have a connection on a complete engine, 545rfe trans and complete wiring harness and computer.
Thanks

If you are willing to put in the time and effort you can use the complete engine trans wiring and computer. You will have to by a pan, buy mounts or create your own, buy manifolds unless the engine is from a grand cherokee which might work, widen your floorpan for the trans and create custom mounts. This is the direction I chose to go.

Easy and cost effective in my opinion are in opposition on this type of swap. Most of the things that make it easier cost more money. You just have to decide what you are willing to do to make it happen and what you are willing to pay for. I could have build a stout 360 for similar cost and much less time and effort, but I wanted to do something different and have modern engine and transmission technology.

Do you have a link for where to get the oil pan and motor mounts? Also since this is a slant six car, do we need to get a v8 k member?
Thanks

Nope dont need a v8 k member,just some shumaker mounts and a drop center link.Sorry dont know about the oil pan as there may be some differences about the magnum I am not aware of.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

Nope dont need a v8 k member,just some shumaker mounts and a drop center link.Sorry dont know about the oil pan as there may be some differences about the magnum I am not aware of.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/

I don't think Schumacher has any new hemi mounts. The only I am aware of are from TTI

The 67-72 style is here http://www.ttiexhaust.com/ComponentParts/57MMA.htm
They also have 73+ spool style now
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/ComponentParts/ComponentParts.htm#em

I'm not sure what you will need for a 64, but I'd guess it is highly unlikely your slant 6 k fram could be used.

Oil pans can be bought from a number of sources.
Weldtech http://www.weldtechstainless.com/wtstainless_004.htm
Milodon http://www.jegs.com/i/Milodon/697/31000/10002/-1?CT=999
Street and Performance http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/5761392oilpanmeasurement.pdf
Probably some others as well

Oh,you are right! I thought for some reason it was a magnum going in..I'll go eat some crow pie now,lol...

Does anybody know if you can even install a 5.7 into an early a body with the stock k frame and manual steering? The tti mounts say 67 and up.

im a noob and wanting to do this swap as well. i see your in PHX we should bounce ideas off of one another. i have access to more modern hemi parts than i care to mention. i will be building up a car and using my 12 second 04 4 door ram for the parts. (yeah thats 12's in a 4 door 5000 pound truck that is as aerodynamic as an airplane flying sideways) it would be cool to look at your setup and see what we can make possable. im off of bell and 17 and would love to see your car. and even offer up some help if needed.

Does anybody know if you can even install a 5.7 into an early a body with the stock k frame and manual steering? The tti mounts say 67 and up.
I have a 5.7 in a 63, but I'm using an AlterK. I don't see any reason you couldn't do it with a stock K frame. I used Jeep srt8 exhaust manifolds for clearance and price.

I have a 5.7 in a 63, but I'm using an AlterK. I don't see any reason you couldn't do it with a stock K frame. I used Jeep srt8 exhaust manifolds for clearance and price.

I have been checking out your build thread for inspiration. Awesome build BTW. I wanted to use the stock k to keep the overall price down, but after seeing your build I think I will just save up and get the alterK. It looks like a much cleaner install and probably rides a lot nicer than the t bars.

I have been checking out your build thread for inspiration. Awesome build BTW. I wanted to use the stock k to keep the overall price down, but after seeing your build I think I will just save up and get the alterK. It looks like a much cleaner install and probably rides a lot nicer than the t bars.

Tbars are a harder ride than coil over. But the thing I like best about an alterk is the room created for headers!

The AlterK is definately a nice piece, (not cheap, but nice), it does give you a lot of options, and bolts in super easy. Good luck!

the 03 truck motors had valve spring problems, so knowing that if you get one swap them out for 16 6.1 exhaust springs ($40-$60 at the dealer)and you will be fine. allthough tuning is really limited for the stock computer. the only advantage i see is there is no EGR.

the 04 and 05 were the same but if you want to use a truck computer get the 05 because then you get better tuning options. allthough unless your keeping the factory ram trans, it does not matter for tuning as both have great programmers for the motor stuff, (the 04's have no trans control and the 05's do)

the 06-08 have MDS, witch will not be functional unless you go with a factory computer. but it is easy to swap out the lifters and not worry about mds again. the factory computers have full tunability to them with an aftermarket programmer.

if you want to talk about it let me know i have geen modding the modern hemi since 05 and average a cam/ head swap a month i know the motors really well. if i dont know something i know people who do. I am also an installer for inertia motorsports.

Anybody have any advice on which year motor and trans is best to go with?

for the foreseeable future, stay away from the '09 and up 5.7. There is nothing on the market to operate VCT currently. Aparently, the stock ECU is to complicated/unknown/restricted to run the engine in a retro fit.

The heads are killer:snakeman: though.

The heads are killer:snakeman: though.
yeah they are. once i get my car up and running with the 5.7 out of my old truck im planning a nitrous motor build and boulding arround the 09+ heads. i want about 12:1 compression ratio, and a nice tight quench pad. and hopeing to see close to 600 flywheel HP on the motor and then hit it with 350-400 hp of N2O

Do that and kiss the bottom end goodbye.

Do that and kiss the bottom end goodbye.

I'm not worried about the bottom end. I'm worried about the block. The motor will be built with nice strong parts. I have already talked with the guys that know. The pistons rods and crank I'll be running can hold it, but it should be at the limit for the block.

You didn't mention aftermarket parts, so now that we know your gonna do some serious building with nice expensive stuff, you should be fine....drive it like you got it from Hertz when your done!!!

I'll drive it harder than a rental. I'll drive it to brake it. It's the only way to find the weak link. But a dana 60 and a built 727 it's going to be hard to find the weak link.......;)

Excellent, cant wait to see some pics.

-
Back