65 170 idles ok, starts ok, pops through carb

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
After sitting awhile outside my 65 Valiant with a 170 finally started up and still idles like it should. About 3 or 4 months ago I installed a remanufactured carb, reman distributor, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil. I set the timing to 5 BTC and it's still on that same mark today. Even when I first installed all that and had it running it ran drove around my big driveway pretty smooth and had good power, didn't try to go over 25mph though. It still popped through the carb and tried to stall out when you wanted to give it full throttle. That's what it's doing still. I noticed today when it died after we snapped the throttle the battery was totally dead. No headlights, or anything. I don't know if it was running only on the battery because the Ammeter doesn't work. Is the popping through the carb, carb related or ignition? One mechanic said that's the accelerator pump and another said it's valve problems. The valves I havent adjusted becaue the engine revs smooth and idles smooth unless you give it full throttle. It idles so quiet you can barely tell it's on. What do I need to check?

I couldnt get it running smooth with the old carburetor so I swapped it out and put it a new distributor while I was doing that. I believe when we did have it running a year ago with the old carb and distributor on it was running, but running rough, idling rough. But at that time was when I got the car and I just wanted to see if the engine ran. It had sat outside a shop for at least two years not running before I picked it up for free, no telling how long it had sat before it showed up at that shop. I think I did have it running with the old carb on there and I don't remember it popping, but I can't remember for sure. It's at another location so I don't get to work on it very much. Timing is a 5 BTC, specs for a 66 170, I did have it at 2.5 BTC and thought it was popping because of the timing so I bumped it up to 5 but didn't help. The idle is 550 RPM and it's a strong idle. I'm wondering if the valves have deposits on them. Should I run a strong vacuum hose fed intake cleaner through it? Oh yeah I just remembered we pulled #1 tonight to recheck TDC and the #1 plug was already black with some fuel on it.

Popping through the carb is often

Bad plug wires

Crossed plug wires

Valves open, IE bent, burned, misadjusted

Bad accelerator pump in the carb or other lean condition off idle.

The fuel isnt that old. I put it in a few weeks ago. The tank was cleaned when I got it. The tank shop said it was pretty clean inside. I put about 3 gallons of fresh gas in a few weeks ago. We rechecked the firing order today and it is correct.

-
Back