'65 904 forward clutch piston question...

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 1965 904, and found that the swedging had let go and the checkball in the forward clutch piston had fallen into the drum. No problem, I think to myself, I've got a '63 904 for parts, I'll just grab that one. Nope, the checkball in the older trans is in the clutch drum, not the piston. So I'm wondering, are the pistons the same from '65 and up? Obviously I don't want to find/buy one from a newer trans and have it be different.

20230922_145007.jpg

20230922_145014.jpg

I'm rebuilding a 1965 904, and found that the swedging had let go and the checkball in the forward clutch piston had fallen into the drum. No problem, I think to myself, I've got a '63 904 for parts, I'll just grab that one. Nope, the checkball in the older trans is in the clutch drum, not the piston. So I'm wondering, are the pistons the same from '65 a
Just took a peak at the front drum I pulled from the 904 core I had. Early 70’s 4 clutch unit. Check ball in the drum.

Well that's interesting. I was guessing they moved the checkball into the piston and left it that way. I haven't worked on a 727 older than '65, wonder where the checkball is in those ones.

Measure across the 'un'-swedged section of the hole to get the diam. Then buy a ball that size....

Looks to be 3/16" or 1/4", but only guessing from the pic.

-
Back