65 904 leaking pretty bad but don't know where?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got this 170 slant six with a 904 cable controlled automatic in my 65 Valiant. It's automatic column shift with the cables. One for parking and one for the gears. I've had to do adjustments to the cables to get everything shifting right. I also had to install the parking lock spring inside the parking cover. When I did that I installed an NOS cover gasket. I installed a used speedometer gear and an NOS neutral switch. It sits during the week and I usually go on the weekend and start it up and sometimes drive it around the neighborhood. Over the week it leaks out a good bit. I put it 3 quarts yesterday but added 3 more before that maybe 2 months ago without really driving it. You can see the wet spot on the ground when you move it. So it's a considerable leak. I changed the filter and gasket a year ago. It doesn't appear to be leaking. It appears to be concentrated around the parking lock area and the shifter cable adjustment area. But there's no o-rings on those cables. I installed a new cover gasket in the rear. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there another common leak area on these cable control transmissions? It's hard to pinpoint accurate the leak because the transmission exterior is rusty colored not dirty just external rust, probably from the Georgia red clay staining it over the years. Any ideas? I doubt I can drive it far with a leak like this.

I had my pan gasket replaced three times in my 1965 Barracuda Formula S (console shift) and it still leaks tranny fluid. In my case, the first few days parked it does not leak, but then the longer it sits, the more the tranny fluid oozes out from somewhere. Someone said that after a while, the torque convertor fluid drains back to the transmission, and that is when the dripping begins. The dripping location is still unknown. If it is not the pan, it must be a seal somewhere. I did drive the car home (1,500 miles) and did not have a problem on the road with leaks, only when parked/stored. The transmission shifts just fine after I top off the fluid. I hope this info helps in a solution.

a common problem with steel pans is over tightening them. this pulls the metal around the bolt hole up into the gasket. after this happens the pan is not squishing the seal between the bolts. the fix, remove pan and hammer the bolt holes flat. use a hammer and dolley.

There is a little rubber seal that goes on the throttle pressure peg sticking out of the trans kind of above where the shift cable goes in. They will leak there and run all arounf the pan rails making you think the pan gasket is leaking, when it may not be. Jake's 65 was leaking like you describe. Replaced that little seal and it's bone dry now.

-
Back