'65 904 total end play

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Finally getting this 904 back together (after spending $130 for a 4 clutch forward drum assembly, as I couldn't find a piston for my 3 clutch), and I want to make sure my total E.P. isn't too tight. .028 +/- with the tailshaft hanging... that's with a .071 fibre washer on the front of the output shaft. The only other one I've got is .053, which would kick me up to somewhere around .045. I've done some searching, gone through my books, but these old units are so different from the newer ones that I wanted to double check. Thoughts?

I always measure the endplay with the tail shaft housing installed with the gasket. Is that how you are doing it? I also make sure the front pump gasket is installed and front pump is torqued down (I leave the Oring out for measuring) if both of these things are done then I would personally use the .053.
Just my two cents!

That's exactly how I normally do it as well. The output bearing in this trans (all the way back at the end of the extension housing) fits tight on the shaft, no play, and the bearing/retaining snap ring is fit into the housing almost as well. There's probably less than .010" output shaft endplay. #1 and #2 thrust washers are only .045", thinner than any shown in the books I've got.

-
Back