'65 Barracuda /6 strong fuel smell

-

tomtrumpet88

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My dad and I have been restoring a '65 Barracuda with a /6 3-on-the-tree for a long time. Recently my dad came into some health issues and he hasn't driven the car for 2+ years. I replaced the battery (old and not holding a charge) and I've been driving it around (3-5 miles) every few weeks. The car is running great, but when I took it on the highway I immediately noticed a very strong fuel smell that did not dissipate. I was planning on doing a tune up in the next few weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what may be causing the strong fuel smell? Prior to my dad letting the car sit, it was running totally fine. I will probably drop a bottle of fuel stabilizer into the tank along with some lead substitute and a fresh tank of gas, but could it possibly be something else?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie - I know I'm aging myself by saying I did not grow up with carburetors, but I want to be able to keep the car running for a long time so that my children might carry on the MoPar torch!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you might have a leak somewhere. You're going to need to check the whole fuel system front to back. It might be as simple as a loose connection somewhere along the line. First check everything cold to see if you see obvious drip marks where the fuel can be dripping and if that doesn't work just turn on the car and let it idle and inspect everything front to back. It might be up by the carburetor, or it might be back by the tank.
Taking a look at the bright side, these old cars run their fuel systems and very low pressure (5-6ish psi on a stock system) Meaning that if you go check the entire system, it's typically only going to be wet around where it is leaking. And if the gas has evaporated already, then it most likely cleaned off the area that it dripped through
Good luck!

You'll also want to closely inspect the fuel tank vent.
It's a line that connects to a nipple on your fuel tank filler tube, and loops up towards or into your C pillar, then back down alongside the filler tube, and finally through the floor seal and terminates inside the frame rail.
1688673344722.png

You want to make sure there are no breaks, kinks or rotted/disconnected rubber connecting hoses on the vent line, since any leak there will cause the tank to vent directly into the passenger compartment on a Barracuda (or a station wagon as well).
Repair as necessary.

All good suggestions. Start by simply removing the air cleaner and starting up the engine. Let it run awhile, gasing it, using some fuel. Do you smell anything? Carb? Fuel pump?

Hi everyone!

My dad and I have been restoring a '65 Barracuda with a /6 3-on-the-tree for a long time. Recently my dad came into some health issues and he hasn't driven the car for 2+ years. I replaced the battery (old and not holding a charge) and I've been driving it around (3-5 miles) every few weeks. The car is running great, but when I took it on the highway I immediately noticed a very strong fuel smell that did not dissipate. I was planning on doing a tune up in the next few weeks, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what may be causing the strong fuel smell? Prior to my dad letting the car sit, it was running totally fine. I will probably drop a bottle of fuel stabilizer into the tank along with some lead substitute and a fresh tank of gas, but could it possibly be something else?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie - I know I'm aging myself by saying I did not grow up with carburetors, but I want to be able to keep the car running for a long time so that my children might carry on the MoPar torch!

Thanks in advance!
I recently had a similar situation where I would smell fuel when I would get on the gas but not otherwise. I found the fuel pump I was using had a diaphram that was leaking when the engine was revved up. Two fuel pumps had the same problem so I had to go to a different manufacturer. Take your time, look things over and you'll find out what this is. Be safe when working around hot engines and a possible fuel leak.

-
Back