65 Barracuda 904 Trans issue

-

JSL298

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm at wits end. Working on my 65 Cuda 273 automatic floor shift. The O-ring for the shift cable was leaking badly. Decided to replace it. Removed the cable and replaced the O-ring. Adjusted the cable as recommended. Filled trans and that's when my problem started. When the shifter was in park, wheels drove forward with the with a lot of clicking (from park cable). As I moved the lever down, the wheels continued to drive forward (No reverse). Decided to drop the pan and set cable to safety neutral switch. Set it perfectly and put it back together. Pretty much the same thing happened. Backed off park cable. In park, wheels drive forward. When I move the shifter down between P/R it is as if it goes into park. Moving it to neutral puts it into drive. I am not a transmission expert by any means. I am hoping someone can understand this and give me some advice. Thank you!

Doesn't seem to be adjusted properly. There's an adjuster where the shift cable goes into the transmission. It's round with holes around the edge. 65'

I had this same frustrating trouble. Here is how its done:

Have someone hold the shift lever firmly in low. Loosen the adjusting wheel, pull the shift cable out with about 2 lbs pressure, turn the wheel clockwise until it just contacts the case, turn the wheel counter-clockwise just enough to make the adjustment hole line up with the bolt hole. This hole is number one, continue turning wheel counter-clockwise until the fifth hole lines up with the bolt hole. Push the cable in until the wheel is flush with the case and install the bolt. Fill the tranny with oil. This should work the first time but I had to do it again to get exactly correct.

Good luck

I removed the transmission pan when I adjusted mine to confirm the lever was in the correct position. 65'

-
Back