65 Barracuda door glass questions?

-

55Redneck

Reaction score
I just finished cleaning up my vent window assy's and was going to install them in the doors. I also need to install the side glass and tracks too. What should go in first, the vents, the sides, or does it matter one way or the other? I don't want to start putting it together just to have to take it all apart again because I did it in the wrong order.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Red

Red,

I took my doors completly apart during restoration. Hang the doors first, then put in the vent glass, but dont tightin it down it will need to be adjusted, alot!! When you hang the door make dang sure its straight and the gaps are good to go, once that is done then do the vents... I took pictures of everything before disassembly so i knew how to put it back together. ONce the vent is is make sure the gaps are good with the a piller, do all this without the seals in. once the gaps are good put in the door glass. this has to be done after the rear glass is inand good to go. when you put in the door glass it has to fit 3 sided, the vent window channel the rear window and the roof rail. it took me quite a while and they are still not 100% but its close enoguth for me....... give a call if you want... 757-450-4907

Thank you for the info Rick.8) My doors are hung and the gaps are where I want them but my biggest problem is that I didn't take this car apart in the first place so I'm putting it back together kinda blind. It would be soooo much easier if I was the one who took it apart. ;) If I'm getting this right, do the vent window, then the little quarter panel window, then the door windows after that for the best ease of adjustment? I may just take you up on your phone call offer when I get there. I did some other stuff on it today to keep going on it. It's a never ending battle. :D Worked on the dash today and I feel like it's one step forward, and two steps back but I'm a stuborn SOB. ;)

Red,

I kept the vent window glass in. You can leave it out. When you put the vent in you will see that there is about a 1/4 inch adjustment up and down that needs to be made. Its trial and error making the vent window gap with the a piller. Here are the pictures they were taken during disassembly the bottom one kind of shows you how big the holes are to move it up and down. If you are using all the same parts, the Redneck way I do it is line it back up with the rust areas as seen in the picture. That got me pretty close, i had the doors off and rebuilt the hinges so they didnt go back exactly where they were but the gaps were all good, i went to the rust spots for the vent window and was close like I said. Now thats all the easy part, when you put the glass in and are trying to align it snug with the rear window thats a challenge..... NO DRINKING WHEN YOU DO THIS, trust me........

DCP_2329.jpg

DCP_2332.jpg

Thanks again Rick for the great info and pics. This really helps me out a lot.

NO DRINKING!!!:shock: I don't start to function normally in the shop until I've got 2 or 3 beers in me.:drinkers::mrgreen:

dont' know about you guys, but I measure the scope of a project by how many beers its going to take to get through it....now this door project, that looks like, oh, lets say a 4-beer job?
-Tim

-
Back