'65 Barracuda engine repost...

-

pkrahn

Reaction score
This might be bad form, but I just now realized there was actually a Canadian section to this site so maybe this post is best put in this room.

What I was wondering if people might have advice on whether this engine is still worth selling? My Aunt Judy wants it off the yard but the gentleman she asked to take it away wouldn't do so, said he'd feel bad as it was in great condition and still valuable.

273.jpg

Here's what she had to say about it:

"1965 Plymouth Barracuda
273 Mopar engine
Sitting since '89

Great car just had cracked rings, could still beat a mustang in that condition before my husband took it apart. Crank was ground and cammed after it was taken apart, hasn't been put together since. Just needs push rods and gaskets."

So if anybody near BC is interested, or somebody has advice, let me know!

Hope. However there is a chance it could be delivered depending where you are, as I drive around the province for work.

"Needs a little more than pushrods and gaskets, but still may be saveable."

okay sorry that's just what she said is all it needed when it was taken apart.

as for victoria, if the price was right i could make a trip to the island to visit friends. as in, then she'd be willing to pay my gas i'm not making any money from this.

as for victoria, if the price was right

So, what would be the right price? I don't know what "the gentleman" considered "valuable", but its not really worth too much in its present state. Putting the same money and time into a 360 gets you loads more power and performance. What I'm saying is, it's only worth decent money to someone whose restoring an A-body and wants a correct engine. Even for a restorer, the cost to rebuild it may be prohibitive.

By the way, what year is the engine, and what is the casting number on the intake?

273b.jpg

is that the number? can't quite make it out. thanks for the feedback. basically you'll have to PM me an offer and i'll pass it her way, and whoever offers the most gets it. it's been posted other places but i thought i'd try a forum where people actually know the engine.

the car was a '65 as the title of the thread says, and i was told it was the original engine so i imagine the engine is a '65 as well.

It is hard to make out, but, if its 2536563, then its a '66/'67 intake. '65 intake would be 2465726. So maybe the rest of the engine isn't stock for '65 either. Casting date on the engine block will confirm year of application.

Some of the parts are worth something, ie: intake, valve covers, and maybe the pistons, if they're in good shape. Otherwise, its just a 273 that'll need $2grand + thrown at it to ever possibly run again.

Like I said, not worth much in its present condition. I've seen running 273 Commando's on here and other places that are lucky to pull $200.00

Sorry for the bad news. Good luck.

-
Back