65 Barracuda power steer/manual steer help?

-

Zeus360

Master of the Big Banana
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 65 Barracuda 273, it currently has the factory power steering set up fitted. I want to convert the car to manual steer, to make some space in the bay for other things and because I personally prefer the feel of manual steer.

Is the only component I need the manual steering box? I imagine the pitman arm may be different also, but does the column or anything else need to be changed?

Also can I get a manual steering box from any LHD Chrysler of the era or must it be from a barracuda?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Zeus

Yes any chrysler manual box from the same era should work. You will need to replace the steering column with one that has a longer shaft or purchase a conversion shaft. I don't recall who sells the conversion shaft, but I do know that they are available. If you have a column shifted auto trans 1965 is the only year that used that particular steering column.

I have all the stuff to do the conversion should you need it! However, I don't have a 65 column shift manual trans column, just floor shifted columns. I do have one column shifted unit disassembled and a couple of shafts if you want to just put the longer shaft in your column!

PM if I can be of any help!! Geof

I have all the stuff to do the conversion should you need it! However, I don't have a 65 column shift manual trans column, just floor shifted columns. I do have one column shifted unit disassembled and a couple of shafts if you want to just put the longer shaft in your column!

PM if I can be of any help!! Geof

My car is a 1965 273 floor shift, so that sounds good PM sent,

Thanks

Zeus

-
Back