"65 Barracuda Rocker Moldong Removal?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
It's funny my searches can't find a a specific answer to my question. Does the factory rocker molding along the bottom of the doors slide off or snap off? How to remove without inflicting damage? Thank you.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly it snaps off the plastic mounting pieces. I removed mine during a restoration in the 90’s so it’s been a while, but I know we did not slide them off. The plastics were a little brittle and held in place by a plastic push “rod” in a hole to expand the piece that inserts into the rocker. Should also be one or two screws near the front or back fender and 1/4 panel trim. Again All from memory 20 years ago.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Move along the rocker until you feel the resistance from the plastic. Insert a trim prybar from the bottom and carefully wiggle and pry until the bottom pops free then the top lifts off. Use this or something like it.

132C4E5B-6056-47B0-89A1-8315341FDDFD.jpeg
Here is the only pic I can find on short notice showing the holes in fender and rocker where the plastics are mounted and just below the front of the door you can see a screw hole.

The trim snaps off the plastic retainers. Don't pry on the Nylon clips. Be careful. You can't re-insert them, and you can't get an exact replacement.
Keep as many as you can in place. The rocker trim you push back over them and put the screws back in. If you break a few and need replacements, let me know. I have a few extras.

The molding released itself quite easily using the "forked" pry tool. The only thing tricky was the single phillips screw. It was located below the front door jamb crease (where the door hinges are) and not all the way forward near the wheel well. All the clips had to be removed to repair rusty spots before re-painting can begin. None of them broke, but the plastic pins which hold them onto the body will need replacements. Thanks for all the above advice.

Last edited:
The molding snapped off quite easily. The only thing tricky was the single phillips screw.. It was located below the front door jamb crease (where the door hinges are) and not all the way forward near the wheel well. All the clips had to be removed to repair rusty spots before re-painting can begin. None of them broke, but the plastic pins which hold them onto the body will need teplacements. Thanks for all the above advice.

You can get the replacement push pins, from Laysons I believe! I bought a bag of them about 20 years ago, but ended up going with blue drywall mollies and screws. They're a perfect fit and hold tight!

DA9D4C04-4273-4F09-9735-BF7B4B7702A8.png
I hope I’m not violating any forum rules, but I found a listing this morning that applies directly to this thead.

View attachment 1715146873 I hope I’m not violating any forum rules, but I found a listing this morning that applies directly to this thead.

If you buy these for a 65 Barracuda, Mic them and compare to an original clip. I think you will find that they are slightly bigger. Perhaps 1/32". Sand them down to the original size. Don't install them and try to force your trim on. It won't fit.

-
Back