65 Bcuda (please educate me)

-

dart_man440

Mopar 4 Life
Reaction score
Guys, on the swap that I'm doing (v8, tranny and drive shaft) I understand the drive shaft needs to be replace to mate with the newer tranny, why do the diff needs to be replaced, the later driveshaft (for what I can remember) will bolt to the diff. Please let me know, I'm heading over to help my friend with the swap and he wants to use the original diff. Thank you in advance for all your help.

You shouldn't have to replace your differential, who said that?

If you're using your original early A-body driveshaft you'd have a problem with it mating to a later style tranny because the early driveshaft uses a ball and trunion style u-joint/coupler. You would want to switch over to a Spicer style (see this article http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/ujoint.htm)

Otherwise what's the problem?

A lot of people feel that the original 7 1/4 rear won't hold up to a strong V8 being pushed hard, and they're right. If you are just installing a stock moderate horsepower V8 and not doing burnouts and racing alot it should survive. Better off getting an 8 1/4 to replace, or if over 400hp, an 8 3/4. JMO, Mike

65'S and ValiantMike, I must have misunderstood an earlier post. I was under the impression that you had to change it, but looking at it I didn't understand why, It looks like I'm good to go then I'll replace the drive shaft and leave the diff alone./ Thank you guys, you are of great help.

I worded my earlier response wrong, so I've corrected it.

I guess ValiantMike is right about possibly wanting a larger rear end. However, the 7 1/4" should hold up well unless you're putting in a powerful 340 or 360 or something. I have a decent 318 in my car and the 7 1/4" is fine.

65s, we are using a 318, nomajor hop-ups, I think the 7 1/4 should be fine, it will be a cruiser not a hot rod. Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Rob.

I worded my earlier response wrong, so I've corrected it.

I guess ValiantMike is right about possibly wanting a larger rear end. However, the 7 1/4" should hold up well unless you're putting in a powerful 340 or 360 or something. I have a decent 318 in my car and the 7 1/4" is fine.

I agree, a 318, {and used with just a little bit of care, ;)}
should be fine for many miles, in front of a 7 1/4" rear assembly.

I had a 1972 Valiant, with 140,000 miles, that came factory with a 7 1/4".

My 1964 Valiant came with a 7 1/4" Sure Grip, with the 273,
and the Sure Grip still works.

My 273 was tired, so I built a mild 318 and put that in the car,
because I wanted to keep the stock tranny, and rear end.I found a 1965 style 4bbl air cleaner, and used that, I think it looks nice.

100_0471Medium.JPG

-
Back