65 B'cuda rear window removal

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Any pointers??? It's time to remove the rear window from my son's B'cuda... is a replacement window gasket avail in the aftermarket???

Not too bad, just remove the plastic locking strip, then the glass should come out, probably stuck in place though. Have someone go inside and push a little too, the glass is heavy! The gasket may come out with the glass, just becareful, not sure if they make the rear rubber gasket. You can get new locking strip on eBay, price is cheap too. I used these on my 66 Valiant, although slightly different but it works and looks way better than the old worn locking strip. :glasses7:

Yes the gasket is available, you can contact deutchmann Automotive and get one. 419-352-7894 and ask for Jeff. He is usually always at least $5.00-$10.00 cheeper than anybody else. Good guy too, and he owns an early A!! Geof

It was real easy when I took out the windows on my '70, having never done it before and I got both front and back glass out without any hiccups.

Just use a razor knife and slice the gasket around the outline of the glass, pulling it off like a string around the window as you cut. You have the edges of the glass itself clear of the gasket now. What I did was stand outside the car reaching in and pushing the glass out so I could see the window from the outside. Be careful and when you see the glass starting to push out a bit from the gasket you can get inside and go a few inches at a time pressing out on the glass to break the suction between the gasket and the windshield. Go back and forth along the top of the window as many times as it takes, pressing out and listening for when the glass starts to come free. Once you can see some light between the gasket and the top edge of the windshield (1/2" or so) push it out from the top edge, making sure it comes free on the sides.

Only took me about 20 minutes I wanna say to get the back glass out clean, but my gasket was a mess and was hell to get off.

No real trick necessary. As mentioned, pull the lock strip, hang on to the corners for the lock strip as they are tough to find replacements for. Then take a piece of 3/8" dowel and sand it so its flat on one end kind of like a flat screwdriver. Insert it between the gasket and the glass and move it all around the seal, both inside and outside. That should separate any stuck spots. Then just lift it out. It is heavy....almost 1/2" thick! Another source for the gasket is Vans Auto, http://www.vansauto.com/ $95.00.

Oh ya, as far as I know no one makes a correct replacement lock strip, with the little squiggly design, so the replacement everyone provides is just plain chrome plastic. You can probably get it from your local auto glass shop. It's the same as the lockstrip for several years of Chebby pickups.

Dante's Mopar Parts also carries the window seal, but hang on to the locking strip as I was unable to find the correct one when I did mine. I just scuffed off the chrome, which was in pretty bad condition anyway, and painted it with black vinyl trim paint.

best done with 2 people. remove the chrome trim at the base of the glass. Pull lock strip, carefully remove the aluminum corners at the base, they are delicate. As mentioned, use a wood or plastic tool to break the seal of the gasket to the glass- spend a few extra quality minutes doing this. with one person on the inside, start with one upper corner and gently push it out at about a 45 degree angle, and as it begins to come loose, slowly add more pressure inching along to the center. when a space develops that can be held by the 2nd person, they can begin gently lifting it. once the entire top is separated, the inside person can get out, and together both tilt the upper half out at the 45 degree angle holding both sides. it will get very easy now as it is just removing the sides, but as you you get close to the bottom, slow down and then try to slide the glass up and out of the bottom. Ther gasket can be resused if it is in good shape, but there are repops available.
Take your time, as these are big and while easily found, not easily shipped or transported.

Popped the front and rear windows/winshields out this evening....in one piece, even!!:iconbigg:

Thanks for the tips/advice guys - much appreciated! We went with the "razor-knife thru the seal" method since it is avail aftermarket new. Did the same for the windshield eventho it needs replaced anyway.

-
Back