65 Cuda, how to open the hood?

-

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just bought a completely roached out 65 Barracuda to part out for others. I can't get the hood open. The latch apparently is this little tab.

20210921_175543.jpg

It appears it should rotate clockwise to open the hood. However, it wont won't move any further than this.

20210921_175602.jpg

I don't want to force it or break anything. It is currently soaking in PB Blaster.

Is this the correct latch, and if so any ideas why it won't let go?

Last edited:
Correct Latch. It Should Move from the O to the M and pop up. There's another latch within...

Try pushing down on the hood while rotating the latch clockwise. My 64 Barracuda sticks too.
If you are parting the car, how is the Fresh Air Door located on the Drivers Side near the kick panel? About 4"x6" rectangular. My car is missing the door and frame, so I am interested.....

Truck needs a timing chain squirrel! Found a junker 65 barracuda squirrel!
Is there anything you won't do to avoid working on your dart?..
The horde is big enough just so you've been officially notified...

as 74 charger said push down on the hood while turning the latch. My hood needs a little encouraging from time to time on my barracuda too.

Truck needs a timing chain squirrel! Found a junker 65 barracuda squirrel!
Is there anything you won't do to avoid working on your dart?..
The horde is big enough just so you've been officially notified...

Hah! You forgot the logging the property squirrel. That will botch my projects for a while.

So far, no luck getting the hood open. I pushed on the latch, no dice. I sat my fat *** on the hood, and worked the latch. Nothing doing. I tried (gently) tapping on the latch with a drift and hammer and again no movement.

Can someone shoot me a photo of their car showing a close-up of the latch mechanism on the hood, and also where it hooks to on the car? If I can see how the latch is set up maybe I can figure out how to help the latch let go. I am continuing to soak it in penetrant, hopefully it's just crapped up.

As far as parting it out, that project will take a while to get going. I have WAY too many irons in the fire at the moment so the Cuda will go under a tarp until I get time to disassemble it.

If you are parting the car, how is the Fresh Air Door located on the Drivers Side near the kick panel? About 4"x6" rectangular. My car is missing the door and frame, so I am interested.....

The driver side air box is gone.

How’s the rear bumper?

Decent. I think there's one fixable bend in the lower license plate area. I will post a "parting out" thread when I get going on this project.

-
Back