65 dart 273, No fuel from pump to carb!

-
are you sure its sucking and blowing? Maybe it's just eccentric. No pun intended!
When I first tested it, felt no blow or sucking. Put it in again making sure it’s in correct and getting a sucking and blowing on my fingers while having someone turning it over. Still not getting fuel

This should be obvious, but I've got to say it- make sure you've got the lines hooked up to the right ports.
Did you actually prime the carb and fire it yet?

When I first tested it, felt no blow or sucking. Put it in again making sure it’s in correct and getting a sucking and blowing on my fingers while having someone turning it over. Still not getting fuel
copy that. I have seen the eccentric on the end of the camshaft fall off or the bolt breaks and there is no mechanical means to move the fuel pump arm up and down. The easiest thing to do here is as mentioned above. Put a short hose on the suction side of the pump and the other end of the hose in some kind of container full of fuel. That will get you an answer right quick. You can count on that Keezyus.

This should be obvious, but I've got to say it- make sure you've got the lines hooked up to the right ports.
Did you actually prime the carb and fire it yet?
Line are correct. I’m not sure how to prime the carb. Do you mean just squirting fuel in the top of it?

copy that. I have seen the eccentric on the end of the camshaft fall off or the bolt breaks and there is no mechanical means to move the fuel pump arm up and down. The easiest thing to do here is as mentioned above. Put a short hose on the suction side of the pump and the other end of the hose in some kind of container full of fuel. That will get you an answer right quick. You can count on that Keezyus.
Sounds good my man. I’ll be trying that after work. Will update

Prime the carb with some gas.
Get a small container like this filled with gas.
Pour some gas on each side of the primaries (front two sides) of your Edelbrock. Fire the car up. This should get you on your way.

maxresdefault.jpg

Line are correct. I’m not sure how to prime the carb. Do you mean just squirting fuel in the top of it?
Way back in post #4.
Or, as others have said, just open the choke plate and squirt a bit of fuel down the primaries of the carb- just don't get carried away.
Always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy when you do it that way, in case your timing is off or you go overboard or get messy with the fuel.

Last edited:
Fuel tank could be filled with enough rust and crud that the filter sock on the pickup in the tank is clogged. Try taking the fuel line from the tank off and blowing air into it (mouth or compressed air at a low setting) while an assistant takes the gas cap off and listens at the gas cap hole. When air is blown into the fuel line, the assistant will hear a gurgling noise as the air bubbles up through the 5 gallons of gas. If you do not hear the bubbling sound I would think that one of the following problems exists:
1. The filter sock on the pickup in the tank is clogged
2. The Fuel line got pinched somehow.
3. Rather unlikely, but the pickup could be frozen in place above the fuel level. In which case you would hear air hissing out but no bubbling.
4. Perhaps there in a clogged inline fuel filter somewhere between the pump and the tank.

Keep in mind that this goes along with the idea @RustyRatRod had to blow air into the Gas cap hole. The way rust particles clog things up, the blockage will be one way when testing with air. If you do both his idea and mine, I would think you could eliminate the pump to tank line as the culprit, of find a solution.

Reminds me of the episode of Laverne and Shirley where Laverne says to Ritchie Cunningham "Nice hanky is it for showin' or for blowin'..." :lol:

well ya could always hook up a fuel pressure gauge then do the carb prime thing...:thumbsup:

It only takes a tiny bit of gunk to hang open the pump check valve.
Here's another test (lol),
Blow into the line from the carb to the pump. You shouldn't be able to.

Squirting fuel into the carb is not priming it.

On the Edel [ & Carter AFB/AVS carbs ], you prime the carb by filling the float bowls full of fuel.
You do this by adding fuel through the atmospheric vents. There is one for each float bowl.
The vents are the openings just next to the met rod piston covers.
Use a syringe or other means to add fuel until you see fuel drip from primary booster nozzle. Then do other side.
Engine is now ready to start.

Squirting fuel into the carb is not priming it.

On the Edel [ & Carter AFB/AVS carbs ], you prime the carb by filling the float bowls full of fuel.
You do this by adding fuel through the atmospheric vents. There is one for each float bowl.
The vents are the openings just next to the met rod piston covers.
Use a syringe or other means to add fuel until you see fuel drip from primary booster nozzle. Then do other side.
Engine is now ready to start.
Are these the vent covers your talking about?

image.jpg

1706827743681.png

There are no "vent covers". Those covers are for the metering rods (red arrow). The bowl vents (green circle) are the ones I mentioned back in post #4.

Some carbs are more pronounced. I'm not sure I would have gotten that one on the AFB/AVS

Ford 2bbl

Screenshot_20240201-170616.png

View attachment 1716200734
There are no "vent covers". Those covers are for the metering rods (red arrow). The bowl vents (green circle) are the ones I mentioned back in post #4.
Filled both with a syringe and have a hose going from a gas can to the fuel pump. Still no start. Pulled a timing light out and don’t think it wouldn’t start if it was a little off. When I pull the engine to reseal everything, I marked the balancing pulley so I’d put it back the exact same way and never turned over the engine so I don’t believe it could be that far out of time. Not too sure now

Filled both with a syringe and have a hose going from a gas can to the fuel pump. Still no start. Pulled a timing light out and don’t think it wouldn’t start if it was a little off. When I pull the engine to reseal everything, I marked the balancing pulley so I’d put it back the exact same way and never turned over the engine so I don’t believe it could be that far out of time. Not
If no fuel going to carb, its most likely Fuel pump.

Any fuel at out port of fuel filter?

If yes?

Try putting a little gas directly into carb? Make sure the throttle blades are open when you do this.

This effectively bypasses the carb as you are putting gas directly into intake manifold.

If the car tries to start or starts briefly and shuts off problem is Carb related as long as there is fuel in the fuel line going into the carb.

If no fuel going to carb, its most likely Fuel pump.

Any fuel at out port of fuel filter?

If yes?

Try putting a little gas directly into carb? Make sure the throttle blades are open when you do this.

This effectively bypasses the carb as you are putting gas directly into intake manifold.

If the car tries to start or starts briefly and shuts off problem is Carb related as long as there is fuel in the fuel line going into the carb.
With the gas can method, still not getting fuel to any of the lines or filter so I think it’s just a bad “new” fuel pump. When I tested the pump itself, I did feel blowing on the outlet and sucking on the inlet so I’m not sure if it’s just not doing it well enough. Like Prof. Fate said, I put fuel into the bowl vents so it should have fuel in their regardless but still not firing up so I may have to pull it off and do what you mentions. I’m not too familiar with carbs so I will have to watch some videos or wait for reply’s

Remove carb. Turn upside down. Such on fuel inlet. You should be able to suck air. If you cannot suck air, it means the needle & seats are jammed closed for some reason. Try hitting that area with a hammer handle. If still no good, remove carb top & investigate.
I’ve tried the gas can method and still not getting fuel so I believe it just a bad “new” fuel pump. I used a syringe to put fuel in the bowl vents and still not turning over so now I’m thinking it’s both the pump and something to do with the carb. I’ll be removing it tomorrow and checking it out. Appreciate it. Will update and/or post a question

I’ve tried the gas can method and still not getting fuel so I believe it just a bad “new” fuel pump. I used a syringe to put fuel in the bowl vents and still not turning over so now I’m thinking it’s both the pump and something to do with the carb. I’ll be removing it tomorrow and checking it out. Appreciate it. Will update and/or post a question
Ok,

If you put fuel into the bowels correctly, when you actuate the throttle by hand, you should see fuel squirt into the carb .

If there is no fuel in the filter or the line directly into carb, I'm betting on a bad fuel pump, or, its not installed properly and actuator arm is not properly riding on camshaft eccentric or, the eccentric has come loose

When you hit the throttle, are you getting any fuel from the pump nozzle ? If the carb has been sitting for awhile, it can become clogged with old fuel. Simply remove it, and blow it out with compressed air, and a tiny drill bit or wire.

In regards to the fuel pump, you wouldn't be the first person to get a bad "new" pump.

46122photo3jpg_00000019019.jpg

-
Back