65 dart 3 inch exhaust

-

dentdelete

Reaction score
Ok guys, I really need some help. I am stepping up to a 3 inch exhaust in my 65 dart gt. I do realize that the odds are not in my favor due to the tranny crossmember. My question is how have any of you fixed or gotten around this problem? Do I need to cut and rebrace my crossmember, do I just run it under and hope that I don't crush the pipe on a pothole, or just what is the best answer?
And before you ask, yes I do need 3 inch. The dyno showed an almost 18% increase in torque with it. The car already has frame connecters, but they are not in the way. This is my first shot at an early A body and I am sure that I will have plenty of questions as I go along, so if any of you guys have a 65, I would really like to hear from you. Knowledge is power and power makes it go FAST!!!!

to modify the member. TTI has a PDF on the site you can get for the mods needed.

I think this is the template I used on the 64 Dart GT.

cross member mods eary A Body.JPG

These aren't mine but show exactly what is needed. He also gave great detail in the process. But for the life of me I can't remember his name but he's doing a keisler swap into his valiant. And he's doing a kick *** job at it. I'm just blank between the ears at this moment.

47b7dd23b3127cce822bd7801af200000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

47b7dd23b3127cce822bd476dbad00000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Hi. I Think I Saw A Crossmember For Dual Exhaust On The Laysons Restorations Web Site. Good Luck Bobby

Yep that my thread. The Keisler went in great. I still need to update that thread soon. Just about finished with that install.

Pretty easy modification. I did it as my first welding project.

I installed tti's 3 inch system on mine but ended it in front of the axle with turndowns. tti's system is great, but had to heat it and tweek the right side a little, no big deal. I used the x pipe. If you have you gas tank in the stock location and have moved the springs in even 3/4" I don't know if the 3" system over the axle will fit. I made my own crossmember mod with tti's instructions. You can also buy a modified one from them as well.

By the way, Dave that car turned out awesome! Any time slips yet? Gotta' be quick!

Thanks. Man have not seen you lurking in a while. It is getting really close. As so on as I fix the brake lines it should be ready for a quick jaunt around the block. It will be a couple more months before it is altogether for a time slip.

I am guessing it will be in the high 12's pretty easy after hearing the motor fire up a couple weeks ago. Sounds really strong and I've got some good street meats on it. I bet mid 12's with a drag radials and a solid 60ft.

I have never drag raced before so I'm going to hit the 1/8 mile track here in La first to get my feet wet.

Back to the original question. The 3" system will hit the stock gas tank for sure. I have the 2.5" system from tti and they come very very close to the tank with the springs moved in 3/4" The 3" system would have to be tweaked for sure with the stock tank and spring mods. The passengers side is the issue mainly.

IIRC, TTI told me that the 3" system would work with the springs moved in with the offset hanger kit. Don't think I'd want to chance it myself though.

of course they said it would work. they want to sell as many sets as possible. I'm just saying that you may need to tweak the passenger side tailpipe slightly. Mine fit perfectly and looks great but the 3" will knock against something. I was saying to myself when putting my 2.5" ............hmmm not sure if 3" will go easily I'm only a 1/4 inch from the gas tank.
47b7cc11b3127cceb3c0a0db4b5200000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

47b7cc11b3127cceb3c090894b1800000026100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg

Thanks guys. I can't believe the responses on this site. All this info will really help. I have already ordered my cross member from tti. I have a fuel cell in the car and the exhaust is going to stop at the rear diff and angle down so no problems on running it to the back. Again thanks to all.

-
Back