65 Dart Fresh Air Vent Area Rust

-

BeetleDart65

Reaction score
On my 65 Dart right where the driver side fresh vent attaches to the car is completely rusted out, so much that when I drove over some railroad tracks the vent fell of and rust and leaves blew inside, question is how hard is that to get to? I'm stumped on how to get to it as this is the only major rust spot on the car. The attached image shows the rust area right next to the brake pedal and alongside the firewall.

20201129_151728.jpg

I believe most people have to remove the outer upper cowl to do a proper repair.

On my 65 Dart right where the driver side fresh vent attaches to the car is completely rusted out, so much that when I drove over some railroad tracks the vent fell of and rust and leaves blew inside, question is how hard is that to get to? I'm stumped on how to get to it as this is the only major rust spot on the car. The attached image shows the rust area right next to the brake pedal and alongside the firewall.

View attachment 1715642730
:(

Yep, windshield and dashboard have to come out. Top cowl and lower cowl need to be cut out from the firewall and pillar posts. Your lower cowl is rusted and looks like you need to replace it. Upper and lower cowl are sandwiched together with the firewall and spot welded. There is seam sealer between the firewall and lower cowl, maybe between the upper and lower cowl as well. Spot welds need to be drilled out with a spot weld cutter. Both joints at the pillar arm are leaded, remove this first, then spot welds drilled out and there will be mig welding as well that needs to be ground away. Start looking for a replacement lower cowl now. I believe this is going to be the hardest part. Also your pillars will be need to be supported by welding braces between door openings, windshield opening and the floor before upper and lower cowl removal. More than likely you will need to remove headliner and interior trim. Reassmbly must be spot on or you risk having a leaky windshield from the opening not conforming to the windshield.

I would start looking for a restoration shop. Looks to me like a 4 day job. $2750-$3500 plus materials. But I’m not a body man, I’m a dismantler and parts seller.

I would start looking for a restoration shop. Looks to me like a 4 day job. $2750-$3500 plus materials. But I’m not a body man, I’m a dismantler and parts seller.
Yep, took me 4 days. Wish I got paid $3500 to do it...

You have to either like doing this kind or resto, have a 'rare' model (and not garden-variety' slant-six sedan) or, maybe original owner - - to even consider such repair. As long as "will the end justify the means''? Still plenty of dry carcasses out there, but I expect majority remain invisible. One suggestion, before sealing off upper vent area, would be to attach (galvanized, primed etc.) metal screen over the round air intakes. This will keep birds or mice from entering and dying inside system - especially on the right side. Figure out your preferred size of screen. For the rest of us, with wide-open intakes, at least be sure your inside 'flaps' are secured (closed) when not driving - especially during any length of storage. (Live) rodents inside whole other problem. :eek:

the problem usually is the drain holes in the fresh air duct the cowl creates get plugged and rain water pools rusting the lower cowl out.

Yup, @ChrisRomello covered it very well. It's a big job for sure, but that's how it has to be done.

View attachment 1715642730
I saw your post for your 65 Dart for sale. Do you still have the original OE Radio for your 65 Dart. If so I would like to buy it. Do you know if it works? Please PM me when you get a chance
Thanks,
Scott

-
Back