'65 Dart hood ornament removal...help?

-

dustergal

Memberless Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the round emblem/ornament on the hood of a '65 Dart without breaking it. I got the two top bolts loose but something is still holding it on, out of sight...any tricks to getting this thing off?

A third bolt on the top, you probably have to remove the latch mech to get at that one. At least that's how it looks on mine.

I just removed the latch, I'll take a closer look and see what I can find. It's very rusty so that doesn't help.

There are three posts on the 65 Dart hood ornament. The two lower posts are held by sheet metal nuts to the hood & are at the 5 o'clock & 7 o"clock position. These nuts are probably what you have already removed.

The post at the 12 o'clock position is not accessible by removing the latch assembly nor is it held on by a nut. Rather the post pushes into a split bushing that is pressed into the hood hole. The ornament 12 o'clock post has sloped ribs that grab the bushing firmly....the factory presses that post into the bushing firmly.

I have one that came out of the bushing fairly easily yet another that needed excessive coaxing with 2 screwdrivers wedged between the hood & the ornament after removing the two lower nuts. If you slip a thin piece of plastic between the hood & the screwdriver you might be able to avoid scratching the paint. Keep the pair of screwdrivers close to the 12 o"clock post to avoid snapping off the post.

You will find that the posts with the nuts have no chrome after the abuse they took however the post at 12 o'clock position will have perfect chrome intact.

Good luck

-
Back