65 Dart Manual Top

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone could tell me the easiest way to get the convertible frame off of my dart for me to refinish? It is a manual top and looking at it I am sure I could figure it out but I wasn't sure if there is a tool required for the big tension springs.
Thanks
Joel

Ok so new question, I've been reading up on this a little and while I can't find info on early a-bodies in particular it seems a lot of measurement and marking is supposed to be done prior to removing the top. Anyone have experience with this?

Ok so new question, I've been reading up on this a little and while I can't find info on early a-bodies in particular it seems a lot of measurement and marking is supposed to be done prior to removing the top. Anyone have experience with this?

Not yet but mine is a 1968 Barracuda convertible anyway. I think VDart removed his frame on the 1969 Dart convertible so maybe he can give you some pointers on what he did and the results.

You need to measure, take photos, notes, and more measurements before picking up a wrench and removing old top. That thing has to go back just the way it was, or you may have a binding lopsided mess on reassembly.

What you can do is cover cockpit, hood, and trunk with plastic, then clean degrease, sand prim, and paint with satin black while top irons stay in place. I have done this several times, it is a lot easier, and the only measurements you need to make is the distance between where the top connects to trunk, and last top iron that the curtain is stapled to, and the distance between the rest of the top irons in order to correctly install padding, and the very critical rear curtain placement.

Check the web for install tips before removing old top:

-
Back