65 Dart Tail Lamp Question:

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
I would really like to take my tail lamps apart and separate the lens from the housing to clean and restore them properly. However, i'm scared to death of breaking the damned things considering how expensive it is to get ahold of a good 65 dart tail lamp.

my question - anyone know the proper way to attempt this?

thanks

I don't know the answer but I was checkin out your resto thread and man she looks good.

I have a 67 dart. My tail lenses had little projections on them and were heat pressed around the pot metal holes. I carefully picked around the holes that the plastic projections were in and removed the lenses. I put them back together using small pieces of plastic strips and gluing them to the plastic on the lenses. I had my frames recromed.

Dave

I don't know the answer but I was checkin out your resto thread and man she looks good.

haha thanks! Always gets stares and thumb ups and "Bet its got that slant 6 huh???" to which i reply, "Not this one!" ;)

I have a 67 dart. My tail lenses had little projections on them and were heat pressed around the pot metal holes. I carefully picked around the holes that the plastic projections were in and removed the lenses. I put them back together using small pieces of plastic strips and gluing them to the plastic on the lenses. I had my frames rechromed.

Dave

Thanks dave.. i was afraid of exactly that. If you dont mind - how much was it to rechrome just the frames/bezels?

haha thanks! Always gets stares and thumb ups and "Bet its got that slant 6 huh???" to which i reply, "Not this one!" ;)

Thanks dave.. i was afraid of exactly that. If you dont mind - how much was it to rechrome just the frames/bezels?

It cost me about $360. New ones at the time, about $750 from Laysons. The re-chroming turned out really nice-just like new. The lenses were not that hard to get out. I was just very carful and took my time. Do your lenses come out the same way?

Dave

It cost me about $360. New ones at the time, about $750 from Laysons. The re-chroming turned out really nice-just like new. The lenses were not that hard to get out. I was just very carful and took my time. Do your lenses come out the same way?

Dave

havent tried yet, but i'm sure they probably will.

Just curious - but has anyone out there tried to pull apart a 65-66 dart tail lamp and been successful..?

No................but I'm waiting for instructions also. :)

Gooood to know ;)
I think i have an extra one with a cracked lens somewhere.. if i find it and figure out how i'll write up a "how to"

but i know people have done this! :read2:

Gooood to know ;)
I think i have an extra one with a cracked lens somewhere.. if i find it and figure out how i'll write up a "how to"

but i know people have done this! :read2:
Not easy, I found several sets including bezels on Ebay,Mine look good finally, Check Ebay.prices have dropped on those. Which ones do you need? I'll see what I have.

Not easy, I found several sets including bezels on Ebay,Mine look good finally, Check Ebay.prices have dropped on those. Which ones do you need? I'll see what I have.

For sure, driver side left lamp with backup lens (mostly just the bezel, its cracked/beyond repair) and passenger side right with backup lens (lens missing, bezel chrome pitted badly). The inner lamps are okay, but could use rechroming too (basically, all lamps) ;)

OKAY so i went ahead and tore apart a lamp.. its not hard at all.. Heres a writeup on it:

Start with your lamp:

Photo0568.jpg

Photo0569.jpg

then take off the gasket. i used a flat blade screwdriver.. worked fine:

Photo0570.jpg

there are three screws:

One:

Photo0571.jpg

Two:

Photo0572.jpg

Three:

Photo0573.jpg

Take those out:

Photo0575.jpg

And the lamp falls apart quite easily:

Photo0576.jpg

Took about 5 mins. I cleaned out the housing and the lens and shined up the bezel.. my housing was all corroded from 40 years of driving.. so i ended up lining the inside of the bezel with tin foil and stuck it all back together.. worked great! You could actually see the break light for a change....

-
Back