65 S torsion bar question

-

pbiggs

Reaction score
I am restoring my first A-body car, a 65 Barracuda Formula S, and have run into a puzzling situation with the torsion bars. After reinstalling the bars, the locking clip would not insert into the groove on the passenger side. The bar would not slide far enough forward to allow the clip in the groove. I did get the driver side in.
I have rebuilt the front ends on several B-body cars and never noticed this condition. All my B-body, the torsion bars slid 1/4" to 1/2" forward of the groove allowing ample room to insert the retaining clip. On the Barracuda, the driver side bar was about 1/8" forward allowing the clip to seat, but the other side was almost flush with the back side of the groove. The clip is in part of the way, but it will easily snap out with little effort.

Is this common on early A-body cars?

Also. this car has power steering. When the box is bolted to the K-frame, one side of the box touches the inner fender panel. I know he manual boxes are smaller and may have more clearance than the PS ones. If anyone has an early A- body with PS, I would appreciate knowing from you how close your box comes to the inner panel.

P.S. I have not noticed an major front end damage from the past. I do believe it has been involved in a front end accident at some point, but I don't believe hit hard enough to bend the sub-frame or structure

Perhaps both can be traced to the Chrysler engineering....I have no reference cars to check.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

-
Back