65 steering coupler

-

shimsham1

Reaction score
i have been looking with no luck for a rebuild kit or the shims and rubber for my steering coupler on my 65 signet manual steering shaft. I did find the following on another site but it had no P/N called out. Anyone have a source for this. Even the shop manual doesn not show it or even mention it.

1962 to 1965 Dodge Steering Column Coupler Modification

Steering Box: “Most loose steering on our cars are from a worn out or mis-assembled coupler. The copper bronze shoes go the way that looks wrong and it is easy to miss-assemble them. Coupler should have no play. When wrong they have about 1/16 to 1/8. I know I know, not yours. I hear it every week when someone asks me, but when I go and check for them I almost always find the box to steering wheel shaft coupler is loose. After they get the box overhauled and all the suspension rebuilt and relieve themselves of a few hundred bucks, they come back and we fix it in 10 or 15 minutes. Mopar dealers have the parts in stock, or did a year ago, and trucks right into the 90s used the same coupler. I just buy the shoes, the spring and the orange rubber. If the pin is good I do not replace it because it is better left alone, unless it is worn, which it rarely is. How to check? Grasp the steering shaft going to the steering wheel in one and and the coupler in the other. Try to twist them in opposite directions. If it is worn or mis-assembled the slop will be OBVIOUS. It is certainly, at the very least, the first thing to check. Very few mechanics of the non-Mopar variety assemble these properly. They look like they should go the other way, but that makes them loose. Coupler can be serviced very easily in the car without removing the box or the steering shaft. Borgeson makes a better joint assembly, if one wants to upgrade.” — Don D.

Steer & Gear offer new Chrysler steering column-to-box couplers and rebuild kits (and a subkit to eliminate that pesky sheetmetal coupler cover). They say their couplers are for '66-'82, but:

1. Every '65 I've seen and owned has used this kind of coupler, and
2. it's easy to use this kind of coupler in a '62-'64 A-body.

thanks guys.... almos embrassed on this end. i concider myself pretty good at finding the hard to find things on the net but no matter what i typed or the combination of different words i could not find these.

big help!!!

and cheap too..

thanks again!

jay

Didn't those kits used to come with two small washers? I seem to remember the washers would space out the shoes to better fit the early coupler. Any input on my fading memory is appreciated. (I'll be 40 on the 19th)

-
Back